Ballast Point Sculpin IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
I recently tried the Sculpin IPA from Ballast point, and it was really good, but much different from I'm used to. I'd like to try brewing a clone, but the flavors are so different that I'm having trouble figuring out where to start. I think I taste some Sorachi Ace hops, but beyond that I'm not really sure how to approach this one. Anyone have a good clone recipe?

Let me know how it turns out. The recipe looks pretty heavy on the crystal to me, which is surprising because Sculpin is pretty dry.

I've made several variations of this recipe, and while very tasty, I haven't made a perfect clone just yet. The grain bill seems to be perfect as is, but the hops and fermentation temps have been tricky to get right. I changed the hops schedule a little, splitting the 30 min addition into two additions at 20 and 15. I added some sorachi ace to the 20 min addition and to the dry-hopping. I also ran out of tommahawk on the last batch, so I used chinook instead. The best result so far was fermented at 70* and dry hopped for 12 days. I also think safale US-05 comes closer to the commercial flavor profile than the WLP001. I know a lot of people say WLP001, wyeast 1056, and US-05 are all the same, but after many tests I can taste a difference.

The beer has changed a little over the years, but I don't think it has anything to do with the recipe changing. I think it's a difference in hop crops. It used to have a strong stonefruit and tropical fruit character with some citrus. Peach, mango, and tangerine. Now it's more like other IPAs with citrus bring at the forefront. Still amazing, just different. Just shows that while the ingredients may be inconsistent, as long as you have a solid recipe you will make a quality beer.

I know this is an old conversation, but I wanted to post the following Hop information. This was provided to me by Ballast Point on Monday. No, they did not provide a hop schedule, just the list.

Mash hops: Simcoe
Boil: CTZ, Chinook, Cascade, Northern Brewer, Centennial, Galena, Amarillo
Dry Hop: Amarillo & Simcoe

This was provided to me by Ballast Point on Monday. No, they did not provide a hop schedule, just the list.

Mash hops: Simcoe
Boil: CTZ, Chinook, Cascade, Northern Brewer, Centennial, Galena, Amarillo
Dry Hop: Amarillo & Simcoe

Has anyone used this information to come up with a more accurate recipe for Sculpin or had any success? Seems none of the clone recipes I can dig up include CTZ or Galena, for example.

Has anyone used this information to come up with a more accurate recipe for Sculpin or had any success? Seems none of the clone recipes I can dig up include CTZ or Galena, for example.

Just FYI, I talked to one of the brewers who worked to reformulate it a few years ago. Based on the hops available they've changed what the aroma hops are. It started Amarillo/Simcoe, but both Amarillo and Simcoe have been left out at various times. No idea what it is now, but I'd look more to process that hop specifics. He swore by mash hops for example. He was also a big fan of Briess CaraVienna as the crystal in hoppy beers.

Just FYI, I talked to one of the brewers who worked to reformulate it a few years ago. Based on the hops available they've changed what the aroma hops are. It started Amarillo/Simcoe, but both Amarillo and Simcoe have been left out at various times. No idea what it is now, but I'd look more to process that hop specifics. He swore by mash hops for example. He was also a big fan of Briess CaraVienna as the crystal in hoppy beers.

Mash hops? Ugh. Why why why?

I have the exact recipe from ballast point if u want it message me and ill send it to u cheers:mug:

Hello, I can't seem to find another ipa in the world better than Ballast Points Sculpin! If you wouldn't mind, I'd absolutely die to have the copycat! Thanks much!! -Jamie

I know this is an old thread, but here's the extract recipe I got:
Specialty grains
- 0.5 lbs Dingemans Cara 20
- 0.25 lbs Briess Caramel 20
Fermentables
- 6 lbs Gold malt syrup (60 minutes)
- 3.15 lbs Gold malt syrup (20 min late addition)
Hops
- 0.5 oz Chinook (60 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade (20 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (20 min)
- 0.5 oz Cascade (5 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (5 min)
- 1 oz Amarillo (0 min)
- 0.5 oz Chinook (0 min)
- 1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
- 1 oz Simcoe (dry hop)

Back