Mash/Boil Time for American 2-Row Backed Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaPearl9

Reaction score
Hey everyone, today my roommate and I are doing our 2 first all-grain batches, a Saison and an Amber. Right now the Saison is on the stove, working up to a 90 minute boil since we're using a large amount of Belgian Pils. Next up is the Amber which is using 10lbs. of American 2-row with some Victory and Crystal 60. I just wanted to double check on how long to do the boil. I was just planning on doing a regular 60 minute boil but just wanted to make sure I don't need to do a 90 minute boil to drive off DMS.

For the record doing a 60 minute single-step mash at 154 degrees.

Thanks for the help!

As long as you start the 60 min after your hot break, you should be fine. Are you reaching a heavy rolling boil? This may be more critical than the length of the boil...

Thanks for the advice. Yeah we were able to reach a roiling boil and saw the hot break for the saison before we began its boil. So I'll just do the same for the amber (except 60 minutes of course). It seems our efficiency seems to be the real problem today though.

Back