Question about darkness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheJadedDog

AFK ATM
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm fairly new here and am just beginning to see if it is even feasible for me to home brew in my apartment.

In terms of the actual brewing I don't think I'll have any problems, but I don't really have a closet to leave the fermentor. I'm planning on using a bucket for my primary and a carboy for my secondary and what I want to know is this...

How dark does it have to be during fermentation? Can it be in a room that gets some sunlight as long as it's not right in front of the window? Should I be thinking about getting a dark blanket to cover it?

On a side note, I have two cats in the apartment and am wondering if I need to prevent them from being able to go near the fermentor and what, if any, effect proximity to their litter box might have.

Any and all helps is appreciated.

A towel or blanket over the fermenter is fine. Would your cats climb all over the bucket or mess with the airlock? If not, it'll be fine. The litterbox issue, well, keep the litterbox out of the beer. :tank:

Lorena

If you have a closet (ideally one without a lot of nice things in it, in case of blowout), that would be a good solution. Knowing my cats, I'd be worried they'd start playing with the airlock when they see it bubbling; probably just as well to keep it away from them.

Back