Better late than never

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
Some of you may remember my asking (nearly a year ago) of good sources for colored beer caps. We had a big project in mind for New Years, and our aesthetics are as picky as our taste in beer is.

Anyway, long story short, we had a great party on December 31, consuming nearly half of the 365 beers we made to celebrate the new year.

I finally (*yes, a little late, I realize that*) scanned the photos we took before we released the beer to the masses, and here they are.

Evidently I don't have the permissions to add photos to the thread, so here are the links:

http://www.threebunnypress.com/temp/fronts.jpg
http://www.threebunnypress.com/temp/backs.jpg

A little backstore perhaps:

We made 8 batches of beer, with 6 different recipes.

Left to right (top photo) we have Indiana Pale Ale, Gracious Porter, Winter Spice, Chocolate Bitter, Honey Brown, and Belgian Trippel.

On the backs, we hand numbered all 365 days of the year between the words "WE HOPE THAT ____________ WILL BE A GREAT DAY."

Also on the label you'll see a tiny bottle rocket and a lovely houndstooth pattern.

As word got around to our friends, the party list grew until we had people from about 9 different states and every corner of the country coming. Everyone got properly smashed and we even had about half of the beer left over.

I just drank my birthday this past week, a delicious Indiana Pale Ale for Feb 9th.

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see the photos.

Cheers!

No photos of the drunkin party? Or are those x rated? ;)

EDIT: Link them like this:

fronts.jpg

backs.jpg

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
No photos of the drunkin party? Or are those x rated? ;)

Nah. There are photos from the party somewhere - but none of them are x-rated at all... I have some fine shots of our hungover asses the next day, doing our best to do nothing at all...

That's a pretty good way to label beer. I never went for the labels because taking them off once is enough. What type of paper did you use and how does is stick to the sides of the bottle?

beautifully done! I think you just gave me some inspiration for my christmas brew packaging. do you do graphic design work or is it just a side interest?

Wow, that is an excellent, and simplistic solution to labeling. Is it brown packing paper with just basic glue on the back?

Ize

like everyone else said, those ook awesome. i love everything about your label from the brown bag paper to the way the words sort of stumble down. great work, very inspiring.

RichBrewer said:
What a great idea but it sure looks like it took a lot of time and work.

artfldodger said:
beautifully done! I think you just gave me some inspiration for my christmas brew packaging. do you do graphic design work or is it just a side interest?

They certainly took some effort. I work at an art school as the tech for their printmaking department. I printed these from photo plates on old letterpress equipment. We only went through all that trouble because the first line of labels I made with silkscreens bled due to the acrylic ink.

So, yes - they were printed on butcher's paper - essentially grocery bag material. The ink was all oil-based for water reasons. The glue was something called Rhoplex, which is an obscure printmaker's ink and is latex based. It's non-toxic, moderately water-resistant, and peels off when soaked in water.

Our next big project is a batch of summer pilsners in large bottles, covered in really thin adhesive sheets of cork (shelf liner from Lowes) which have been printed on. The 'labels' would be permenant, but they would keep the beer cold and your hand dry! A SELF COZIED BEER!!

Anyway - thanks....

kvh said:
Our next big project is a batch of summer pilsners in large bottles, covered in really thin adhesive sheets of cork (shelf liner from Lowes) which have been printed on. The 'labels' would be permenant, but they would keep the beer cold and your hand dry! A SELF COZIED BEER!!

nice! :ban: cant wait to see some pics of these!

Back