Fun mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnevoodoo

Reaction score
I brewed a wit on Sunday and as I was preparing everything in the kitchen, I was looking for cardamom seeds and I came across an unlabeled tupperware container. I opened it up and smelled it. Not cardamom, I thought, but it smelled nice.

Then I was looking around some more and for some reason I went back to that same container and just blindly measured out an ounce. I dumped it in my beer at 5 minutes to flameout like it was no big deal, too.

So I get a text from my roommate. "Did you put Schezuan peppercorn in your beer?" and the only response I could muster was, "yeah, it smelled great!" It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I should probably be a little more focused next time I am doing this.

On a positive note, I am going to brew another more traditional wit this weekend!

Peppercorn Wit....

My guess is it will come out GREAT! :)

yeah. And if you read about them, it gets even more interesting. They're not peppery, but lemony and earthy.

"Sichuan pepper has a unique aroma and flavor that is not hot or pungent like black or white pepper, or chili peppers, but has slight lemony overtones and creates a tingly numbness in the mouth (caused by its 3% of hydroxy-alpha-sanshool) that sets the stage for these hot spices."

So if I send you a bottle you'll drink the contents and send it back to me with a sample, right? I gotta try it! :)

I have a pepper tree in from yard that I planted last spring. It is just starting to bear it's fruit. I'd like to know how this turns out. These guys give up a whole lotta pepper corns.

I have a pepper tree in from yard that I planted last spring. It is just starting to bear it's fruit. I'd like to know how this turns out. These guys give up a whole lotta pepper corns.

Again, they're not like actual pepperccorns. They are Schezuan peppercorns, that are actually the husk of some weird fruit that is from somewhere far away. There was a ban on them for a lot of years in the states, they're back, and they're in my beer.

I am not expecting a pepper flavor from this, at all. It will add lemon and dirt, if anything.

This sounds really great, actually. I think wheats are prime for oddball additions like this. The ginger, lime, and lemongrass wheat I brewed recently turned out great, and Schezuan peppercorns would've gone nicely in there as well I bet.

Latest posts

Back