possible infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i have a peach wine that i'm making, and i have the peaches soaking in a campden-tablet solution (1 per gallon). there is a small white film forming over the surface. it looks like very fine strands of white hair, or thin cheesecloth. is this at all normal? should i rack it, dump it, add more tablets, or let it be?

I usually mix up my must, and dont' "soak" the fruit. Have you pitched the yeast yet?

Usually you add the campden, and pitch the yeast in 24 hours, so that you can get the wine yeast taking over the fermentation right away. What are you using for a recipe?

well this is during the 24 hour period (okay a bit longer because i was busy last night). i haven't pitched any yeast yet. the peaches are soaking in order to create a must.

this is the guide i'm using:
The 7 Easy Steps To Making Wine: E C Kraus

and this is the recipe:

PEACH WINE
13 lbs. Fresh Peaches
10 lbs. Cane Sugar
Water as need to make 5 gallons
1 Tablespoons Yeast Energizer
1 Teaspoon Pectic Enzyme
2-1/2 Tablespoons Acid Blend
1 Teaspoon Wine Tannin
5 Campden Tablets (Add 24 hours before the yeast)
1 Packet Wine Yeast (Lalvin EC-1118 recommended)
5 Campden Tablets (Add right before bottling)

give it time. besides it could end up being ok. why not let it run its course? i just read of someone doing a 100% brett beer. could be interesting

while i appreciate the positive attitude, i'm not trying to make a sour peach wine. there is a difference between purposefully inoculating a beer with wild yeast and accidentally acquiring an infection. i'm not going to tie up a carboy for a year to see what happens.

i guess it depends. i have extra carboys so i would let it sit. it just puts a tear to my eye thinking about wasting 13# of fresh peaches...

Latest posts

Back