What do you do with the extra half bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mychalg9

Reaction score
WHen you are bottling if you can't fill up the final bottle all the way, what do you do with it? Do you just drink it flat, or cap the bottle and see if it carbonates?

I keg, but anything under a pint is consumed. More than that, I'll put it in a 1 or 2L bottle.

If it's less than half a bottle, I drink it. If it's more like 3/4 bottle, I'll just go ahead and bottle/cap it and let it carb with the rest, then use that as a taster.

Note that with a different amount of headspace, that bottle won't carb quite the same way as the rest.

I just drink it.

+1 :drunk:

I drop it into my test tube, take a picture with the bottles for posterity. Like so:

DSCF7163.sized.jpg

Then I pour it into a clear glass for intense scrutiny, then I drink it.

I have an 8oz glass bottle that I can cap with my capper. Otherwise, I drink dat sheit

If it's at least a half bottle, I just bottle it. Then I drink it after one week. With more headspace, it's more carbed. I always find it's pretty carbonated at one week, already. I don't just drink it without bottling because I don't like the priming sugar in the beer.

collect final runnings in a jug and blend

when I have enough, take a bath in it. It's awesome

If it's at least a half bottle, I just bottle it. Then I drink it after one week. With more headspace, it's more carbed. I always find it's pretty carbonated at one week, already. I don't just drink it without bottling because I don't like the priming sugar in the beer.

Ditto - it's my "test bottle."

Thanks for reminding me what that 1/2 bottle sitting on the kitchen counter was from!

I usually just drink some of it and pitch the rest, unless it tastes good enough to dirnk at that point. But the last time I bottled, I capped the last half-bottle to see what the beer might taste like with oxidation.

I'm going to go with the majority here and say drink it. That's what I did for my first batch, it will give you a fair idea of the beer's flavor.

I filled a bottle 1/2 full once before capping. I forgot about it and three weeks later when I remembered I popped the top, the CO2 pressure almost blew the cap off. Upon pouring I got 99.9% foam. Next time I'll just drink the flat beer!

Well, I had bottled mine and let it sit a week before opening it last Sat(1/30). It seemed carbonated but still tasted like an extract kit(syrupy I guess), which it is. I'm hoping time will improve the rest of the batch.

Back