Missed OG by 16 points

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talloak

Reaction score
I made EdWort's Rye IPA. I dropped 7 lbs. of 2row and replaced it with 3lbs Pale Dry Extract so I could Partial Mash:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale-05
Yeast Starter: Hydrated Dry
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 67
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: SRM 9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days at 62-65 degrees
Additional Fermentation: Crash cool to 39 degrees for 3 days then keg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): None
Tasting Notes: Spicy, malty, & very tasty!

BCB Rye IPA

This is a tasty, yet big beer at 7.2% abv. The flaked barley gives it incredible head retention and a cascading effect like a nitrogen pour.

3# Light Dry Extract
3# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. Tettnanger FWH 4.4% (First Wort Hopped)
1 oz. Chinook 60 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 30 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 5 min 12%

OG was supposed to be 1.064. Mine was 1.048. Used deathbrewers easy stove top partial mashing techniques. I think the problem was I didn't mash with enough water. 1qt/1lb grain. I ended up with about 37% efficiency. Crap.

1) Is the lack of water likely the problem for the low OG?

2) What is this going to taste like?

Thanks for any help

7 lbs. of 2row and replaced it with 3lbs Pale Dry Extract

This is your problem. You should have used 4-5 pounds of DME. Seven pounds of 2-row is about 210 points, 3 pounds of DME is only 120.

Well... yeah, that makes sense. Not enough DME. Mashing with 1qt/lb will not affect your efficiency to a large degree.

EdWort told me to add more DME than 3 lbs. Something like .8 lbs DME for every 1 lbs of 2row. But I plugged it into beersmith and it put me at an OG of 1.084.

Should have listened to EdWort. I think beersmith intentionally sabotaged me because I only have the trial version. If you pay for the full version it won't screw you up.

EdWort told me to add more DME than 3 lbs. Something like .8 lbs DME for every 1 lbs of 2row. But I plugged it into beersmith and it put me at an OG of 1.084.

Should have listened to EdWort.I think beersmith intentionally sabotaged me because I only have the trial version. If you pay for the full version it won't screw you up.

I seriously doubt that this is the case. The author, (who is also an HBT'er, by the way) seems like a stand-up guy, and I see no reason why somebody trying to sell a software program would break the trial version so badly that it gives wrong results.

If you wanted to add extract while the beer is fermenting, you could make up the missing gravity pretty easily. Personally, I'd consider buying two pounds of dry extract and slowly adding it to the fermenter. Sanitation is a potential issue, though, so you'd have to take that into account.

I seriously doubt that this is the case. The author, (who is also an HBT'er, by the way) seems like a stand-up guy, and I see no reason why somebody trying to sell a software program would break the trial version so badly that it gives wrong results.

If you wanted to add extract while the beer is fermenting, you could make up the missing gravity pretty easily. Personally, I'd consider buying two pounds of dry extract and slowly adding it to the fermenter. Sanitation is a potential issue, though, so you'd have to take that into account.

I think he is joking about sabotage :D

Yup, that was definitely a joke. And you missed it.

Anyway, can I really still add DME to my fermenter to make up for the missed points? Even if I could make half of those up I would be happy.

How would I go about adding additional DME to an already fermenting brew? It has been fermenting for about 72 hours and I have 3 lbs of the same DME in the recipe on hand.

I dont know how you would effectively do that. I say, call it Rye IPA Light... and go from there. It will still be good, no doubt in my own mind. It wont be what you intended, eh... but that is your excuse to brew AGAIN this coming weekend!

You could boil any extra DME in water, cool it, aerate it, and gently pour it in to your fermenter. I'd try to do it within a day or two after pitching, though, when vigorous fermentation is still going on.

However, I think you may just be better off leaving this batch and trying to fix it next round. Let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back