Getting my mojo back with an extract batch... (English Strong Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
I haven't brewed much lately and the last few I had brewed, I wasn't happy with how they came out. So, I had some hops and yeast in the fridge and wanted to use them on a quick 5 gallon extract batch. Here is the original recipe that my LHBS printed out...

"Spotted Hen Ale" (English Strong Ale)
Steeping Grains:
1lb 40L
1lb Cara-Amber

Extracts:
1.5 qts of Pale
0.5 qts of Wheat
1lb Brown Sugar

Hops:
1.66 oz Fuggles 60 mins
1.66 oz EKG 15 mins
Irish Moss

Dry Hops:
.66 oz Cascade

Burton Ale Yeast

None of the hops on the recipe indicated what their %'s were, so I don't know what the IBUs were intended as...

From what I have in the fridge, I will be replacing the Fuggles with 6.2% EKGs. BTP rates that at 57 IBUs. I'm pretty sure this will move it way out of style for what the recipe calls it. I'm not overly concerned with adhering to the style, but am more concerned with it coming out alright. I love hops, so I don't think 57 IBUs is much in the grand scheme of drinking Stone IPA, Victory Hopdevil (yes I know they are different styles). Any thoughts?

Brewing this morning... nobody's home, full pot of coffee, iTunes Genius List playing, HBT chat window open. It's a good morning.

Would it be bad if I kicked up the 60min EKG to 2oz. BTP says it will give me a new total of 65IBUs.

Unfortunately this wound up getting an infection :(
:mad::mad::mad:

This is my second infection. I need to empty all my carboys and equipment and soak them all ridiculously well.. I thought I have everything cleaned from the last time this happened a while back... (or maybe it's just a new infection, unrelated to the first)...

Back