Can someone check my calculations ? / Critique my recipe changes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadChemist

Reaction score
Hey Folks. I'm just about to brew a Coopers Wheat beer kit and I was going to make a few small changes. Since I've never altered a recipe before I was hoping to get some feedback and also to make sure what I was doing makes sense.

Original recipe : Contents of kit + 500mg DME + 300mg Dextrose. => 5 Gallon Batch

Modified recipe : Contents of kit + partial mash of 600g Wheat Malt and 350g of 2-row Barley.

1oz of Hallertauer US at 30 minutes
1oz of Hallertauer US at 60 minutes

I increased the amounts of Wheat/Barley relative to DME/Dextrose since their PPG contributions were lower. 44PPG vs 38 PPG I added the hops since I believe the kit says it is unhopped and you are supposed to use some type of Hop concentrate which coopers sells but I don't have.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated !

Is the kit pre-hopped? I presume it is. If so:

You're looking at OG 1044, IBU 23 without the hopped extract, assuming you collect 3 gallons US to boil from the partial mash. That's going to be a bitter beer.

If that's what you want, go for it. :)

I'd wait until flameout to add the extract kit. Keeps the color light.

Cheers,

Bob

I'm going to double check and see if the kit is hopped or not. If it is, I'll cut back on the Hallertauer or maybe just dry hop 1 oz or so.

Thanks for your feedback.

What is a good OG/IBU to shoot for with this type of beer ?

Hey Folks. I'm just about to brew a Coopers Wheat beer kit and I was going to make a few small changes. Since I've never altered a recipe before I was hoping to get some feedback and also to make sure what I was doing makes sense.

Original recipe : Contents of kit + 500mg DME + 300mg Dextrose. => 5 Gallon Batch

Modified recipe : Contents of kit + partial mash of 600g Wheat Malt and 350g of 2-row Barley.

1oz of Hallertauer US at 30 minutes
1oz of Hallertauer US at 60 minutes

I increased the amounts of Wheat/Barley relative to DME/Dextrose since their PPG contributions were lower. 44PPG vs 38 PPG I added the hops since I believe the kit says it is unhopped and you are supposed to use some type of Hop concentrate which coopers sells but I don't have.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated !

The Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Select Wheat Beer Kit is a hopped beer kit. You do not need to add bittering hops. Wheat beers are lightly hopped anyway. Whatever you do, do not boil the kit. If you want to add some Hallertauer hops for aroma, boil them along with your water from your steeped barley and wheat for 5 minutes, then add the kit.

Way to go with the partial mash. These kits make good beer when you actually follow good brewing practices and ignore the instructions. Be sure to use a good yeast as well. I recommend choosing another yeast from your LHBS and not using the yeast that came with the kit. WLP320 will make something like a Widmer, WLP300 will be :ban:.

Good luck.

OK Brew day is fast approaching.

Going to go with

Hefeweizen Ale (WLP300)

This famous German yeast is a strain used in the production of traditional, authentic wheat beers. It produces the banana and clove nose traditionally associated with German wheat beers and leaves the desired cloudy look of traditional German wheat beers.

Attenuation: 72-76; Flocculation: Low; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 68-72

0.50 Oz. Hallertauer US for 5 minutes. Then add Kit without boiling!

I'll post results/tasting notes when its ready. Still a long ways off though.

When using WLP300 you should keep the fermentation temperature at 66F if you can because it will have too much bananna if the temperature get's to high.

When using WLP300 you should keep the fermentation temperature at 66F if you can because it will have too much bananna if the temperature get's to high.

Actually I kind of like the banana / cloves, and I usually ferment at around 68F, then raise it up to 70F after two days of usually explosive fermentation. I have even used WLP300 in a cider at these temperatures and it is tasting really great, it depends on what you like.

I think you could get away with just adding half an oz at 20-30 minutes and have a really fresh tasting great beer. Best of luck.

Back