Can you verify my efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powersurge

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of all grain and I am kind of shocked with what the starting gravity and ending gravity are. Can you please comment on whether I got exactly what I should have or if somehow I am obtaining crazy efficiency with a double bucket mash ton. :confused:

6 Pounds Muntons Pale Malt
2 Pounds Muntons Wheat Malt
1 Pound Muntons Crushed Crystal

Pitching Temperature 89.6 degrees
Starting Gravity with temperature
Temperature corrected

Ending Gravity at 60 degrees
Temperature Corrected

My Math tells me that I'm at 8.56% Alcohol

Powersurge said:
I brewed a batch of all grain and I am kind of shocked with what the starting gravity and ending gravity are. Can you please comment on whether I got exactly what I should have or if somehow I am obtaining crazy efficiency with a double bucket mash ton. :confused:

6 Pounds Muntons Pale Malt
2 Pounds Muntons Wheat Malt
1 Pound Muntons Crushed Crystal

Pitching Temperature 89.6 degrees
Starting Gravity with temperature
Temperature corrected

Ending Gravity at 60 degrees
Temperature Corrected

My Math tells me that I'm at 8.56% Alcohol

Well, your alcohol calculation is about right for those numbers. According to the calculators on TexanBrew.com, you're at 98% efficiency. Maybe something wrong with the hydrometer?

Kephren said:
Well, your alcohol calculation is about right for those numbers. According to the calculators on TexanBrew.com, you're at 98% efficiency. Maybe something wrong with the hydrometer?

The Hydrometer reads 1000 in pure water so I know its not that. What I am wondering is if sedimentation that was present in the Wort could have scewed the gravity.

I would venture to guess that 98% efficiency is almost an impossibility.

While I'll accept it not being 98% there are two things that do stand out.
1) It smells like alcohol
2) It tastes like alcohol

I should not that I am taking 5 gallons of liquid out of the wort ton. I dont stop sparging and then add pure water to the carboy to top off to 5 gallons. I run as much water through the mash ton as it takes to get 5 gallons of wart.

Does this matter?

Powersurge said:
While I'll accept it not being 98% there are two things that do stand out.
1) It smells like alcohol
2) It tastes like alcohol

I should not that I am taking 5 gallons of liquid out of the wort ton. I dont stop sparging and then add pure water to the carboy to top off to 5 gallons. I run as much water through the mash ton as it takes to get 5 gallons of wart.

Does this matter?

If you've got the smell and taste of alcohol, why worry about the numbers? ;)

I'm not sure what you're saying about the mash. From what I've read, you should run all of your water through the mash tun until you have 6-7 gallons of wort, so that after you boil, you'll have about 5.5 gallons. You'll lose 1/2 gallon from the trub, so you should be racking almost exactly 5 gallons into your secondary (maybe a slight bit more).

Kephren said:
If you've got the smell and taste of alcohol, why worry about the numbers? ;)

I'm not sure what you're saying about the mash. From what I've read, you should run all of your water through the mash tun until you have 6-7 gallons of wort, so that after you boil, you'll have about 5.5 gallons. You'll lose 1/2 gallon from the trub, so you should be racking almost exactly 5 gallons into your secondary (maybe a slight bit more).

I dont have a boil pot large enough to boil 6 gallons of wort so I only pull a tad bit more than 5 gallons when I sparge. I only boil about 2.5 gallons of the wort after I am done.

After really looking into my process for this batch I think there are two things going on here. 1) My weights may have been off. I dont think it was dramatic but I might have had 10 pounds of grain than the 9 I thought I had.
2) I had a lot of sedimentation that I thought I got out. This residual sedimentation might have effected the starting gravity.

My brewing philosophy has been changing. My main concern in the first few batches I brewed was to create some real powerful winter warmers. I was proud if I created a beer that was 8%. Now I want to refine my methods. I notice that when you go above 6% you tend to add an alcohol taste that I would now like to get rid of.

Back