Soda / beerline equation..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tylo_k2008

Reaction score
There are so many threads on the topic, but I still don't get it. I need to know how much beer line i need for soda out of a corny keg. I have 50' of 1/4" beer line. I bought it expecting to cut it in 2 and use 25' for 2 taps, but now I am doudting it. Someone please help

The best calculation that I've seen is on CHI's website

I hate to tell you this now, but you would have been better off with 50' of 3/16" line.

I made that mistake myself a couple of weeks ago, trying to replace 5' of 3/16" line with 10' of 1/4" line actually made things worse, not better. So now I have two 10' lengths of 1/4" braided hose that does me no good.

Anyone else?

It depends on the pressure, but I dispense soda at 30 psi and it needs about 25' of 3/16" line. With 1/4" line, you may need at least 50 feet per tap, but I"m not sure about that because the 1/4" line is for super long runs (like at bars) so I've only dealt with 3/16" line.

Yeah I already bought the 50' line of 1/4" line so I think I have to give it a try. Most threads I came accross said I needed anywhere between 37-43' of 1/4" line, but I wasn't sure if they were right. For future knowledge (as I do have another tap i need to use) how many feet of 3/16" line will be suffecient for soda.

I keep a keg of soda in the kegerator for the wife and kid. It's carbed at 30 psi and I just figured 1 ft/psi so I used a 30 ft line. It foams but no more than when you pour a can of soda.

I seem to remember reading in the bottling/kegging forum about brewers using epoxy mixing inserts in the dip tubes and getting away with no foaming on very short lines. Might be worth a try.

Yeah I already bought the 50' line of 1/4" line so I think I have to give it a try. Most threads I came accross said I needed anywhere between 37-43' of 1/4" line, but I wasn't sure if they were right. For future knowledge (as I do have another tap i need to use) how many feet of 3/16" line will be suffecient for soda.

30' should be sufficient.

It depends on the pressure, but I dispense soda at 30 psi and it needs about 25' of 3/16" line. With 1/4" line, you may need at least 50 feet per tap, but I"m not sure about that because the 1/4" line is for super long runs (like at bars) so I've only dealt with 3/16" line.

When you do a pour off a 25' line, wouldn't most of your pour just be the soda that's in the line?

How much liquid can 25 feet of 3/16" hose hold?

berkeleyjack said:
When you do a pour off a 25' line, wouldn't most of your pour just be the soda that's in the line?

How much liquid can 25 feet of 3/16" hose hold?

25*12*(3/16)^2*pi/4 cubic inches worth.

25*12*(3/16)^2*pi/4 cubic inches worth.

So if the formula is right (which I have no reason to believe its not), that should be 8.28 cubic inches or roughly 4.59 fl ounces.

However, in the tube or in the keg should not matter. Its all the same pressure throughout the system and the tube should be refrigerated anyway. Right?

Latest posts

Back