New brewer in the family

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridedoc

Reaction score
Going to brew a batch with my oldest son on Saturday. Have to go to the local brewing supply and pick up a kit. I started a few months back and really enjoy it and I think he will also. The weather is going to be pretty crappy so it will be a good brew day!! Maybe I will get to steal some of his beer for a change!

ridedoc said:
Going to brew a batch with my oldest son on Saturday. Have to go to the local brewing supply and pick up a kit. I started a few months back and really enjoy it and I think he will also. The weather is going to be pretty crappy so it will be a good brew day!! Maybe I will get to steal some of his beer for a change!

That's awesome!

Im not really sure what he is going to pick up, he seems to like a darker, maltier style but ya never know. my guess is a October fest type or a wheat beer. He had been saying he wanted to get into home brewing, but with a house and truck payment cash is kinda scarce, so I had an equipment kit sent to his house. With his own stuff my stuff stays my stuff!!! 24 year olds can drink alot of beer!

ridedoc said:
Im not really sure what he is going to pick up, he seems to like a darker, maltier style but ya never know. my guess is a October fest type or a wheat beer. He had been saying he wanted to get into home brewing, but with a house and truck payment cash is kinda scarce, so I had an equipment kit sent to his house. With his own stuff my stuff stays my stuff!!! 24 year olds can drink alot of beer!

Yes when I was that old 5 years ago, I could drink a bunch of beers. Even more in college, but that's over and made the switch to drinking good beer in not so large quantities, haha.

The oktoberfest/ marzen is a lager, so you would need to be set up to ferment colder. A good beer would be a porter or stout if he's into darker beers, and you can't mess those up, plus they taste great.

Mine is only two years old so I brew during naptime. Can't wait to teach him the art!

Well he ended up picking out a wheat beer with orange peel and coriander. That was one of the beers I did and it came out great. It should appeal to just about everyone.Saturday did not work out so we are doing it tonite! Might be a late night!

My younger son got me into brewing a few years back. He's 30 and we brew together often. Just this weekend we had his 30th birthday party and had 4 brews on tap - two of his and two of mine. Lots of friends and family and lots of good beer!

My 5 year old loves to help me brew and he's a great partner. I'm training him young. He can already tell me the four main ingredients in beer. I also brew with my dad, so it's a great way to bond with both your parent and your child.

That's really nice, it was kind of the opposite here. I taught my father to brew beer and mead, helped him put together his electric brewing rig, etc. It's really fun brewing with him, even though I often end up doing most of the work. But then again, I also drink quite a lot of it too! :mug:

We have fairly similar tastes, he seems to like it more hoppy than me but other than that it's robust, malty beers all the way. Smokey characters are a big plus. It's always nice how he brags about the recipes I put together; "My son made this recipe!"

Speaking of which, I'm always the one supplying recipes. At this rate I might release the first beer recipe book in Swedish. :p

TrubDog said:
My younger son got me into brewing a few years back. He's 30 and we brew together often. Just this weekend we had his 30th birthday party and had 4 brews on tap - two of his and two of mine. Lots of friends and family and lots of good beer!

That's awesome. I have fun drinking a few beers with my dad. Before 21 no way Jose. Beer + family = good time.

Back