Determining completion of MLF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarlimanButterbur

Reaction score
Are there any good ways to determine if MLF has been completed? I inoculated a batch of cider about a month ago with wyeast 4007. The package says that one to three months is the typical time-frame. I don't have any equipment for titration or for measuring pH.

I know that I ought to be patient, but I'd like to bottle it, and I don't want any over-carbonation to result. Is that something I should worry about, given that I don't know that MLF is complete?

Feel free to direct my attention to an existing thread.

Thanks!

Chromatography (TLC) is the usual method. The information on the packet is for wine, which has lower levels of malic acid. If your cider was warm enough and the pH not too low (and the culture ok), it should go through in about a fortnight. Tasting will help tell you, after MLF the cider gets a flat taste, but it soon recovers to develop a desirable complexity. Get some sour candy (malic acid) and compare to your cider to see if you can still taste that malic "twang".

Back