New Hop Grower in Ohio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelsBrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone as the thread title states, I am new to the world of hops growing so I wanted to share some pictures with all of you. My SWMBO is not as excited about this endeavor as I am....

My Two first year Northern Brewer plants =)

Cheers! :mug:

4179-my-two-northern-brewers.jpg

4178-northern-brewer-single.jpg

awwwww they are so cute when they are that age. lol grats on getting started and good luck. show her some pics from here of established hops gardens she will come around. if not i guess u will have to do some extra a$$ kissing to get her to let u keep em.

Looks great. You defenitely want a bigger pot or they will get stunted pretty quick. In the ground will be the best.

Looks great. You defenitely want a bigger pot or they will get stunted pretty quick. In the ground will be the best.

I was hoping to leave them in these pots for this first year and then a bigger one next year... May be moving to S. Ohio in the next three years so I did not want to make them permanent as of yet.

Will this be okay in your experience?

Anyone?

I was hoping to leave them in these pots for this first year and then a bigger one next year... May be moving to S. Ohio in the next three years so I did not want to make them permanent as of yet.

Will this be okay in your experience?

Anyone?

No, it is probably already root-bound.

If you have to move, dig up the crown at that time. Methods of transplanting crowns are not my expertise, I just know that your hop needs to be transplanted immediately, from personal experience.

If swmbo is upset, you should probably make a raised-bed in the area and plant some marigolds and pansies along with them. Marigolds will actually attract pests away from your hops plants too.

Also, what time of day did you take that picture?

If swmbo is upset, you should probably make a raised-bed in the area and plant some marigolds and pansies along with them. Marigolds will actually attract pests away from your hops plants too.

Also, what time of day did you take that picture?

Thanks for the feedback... I need to make some raised beds; new project!

I took the picture at about 6:30 pm if I recall.

Cheers :mug:

Update:

The pots shown hold about 10 lbs of dirt. Yesterday I upgraded to pots that now hold 50lbs of dirt! This should help tremendously!

Ill post more pics soon,

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I transplated the hops into two pots that hold 50 lbs of dirt each!

My hops are kicking butt now :rockin:

Here are some pics:

4366-img-7-4-11-1.jpg

4368-7-4-11-3.jpg

4367-7-4-11-2.jpg

4369-7-4-11-4.jpg

Congrats!

I'm in your area, and this is my first year growing them as well. My Cascade has cones forming but the Nugget and Willamette are lagging behind.

Good luck on your girls!

Back