Protein Rest Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaeltrego

Reaction score
Below is the malt analysis sheet for my sack of Best Pilsner malt. According to a few articles I have read regarding malt modification, the values below indicate that this would be considered highly modified malt.

Would it still be beneficial to do a short protein rest for my Bohemian Pilsner? I was considering a two-step infusion, 15-20 min at 133, then 60 min at 154...

BESTMALZ Pilsen Malt
Moisture content % 4,9
Extract fine grind, dry basis % 80,7
Fine-coarse-difference % 1,6
Viscosity (8,6%, mPa.s) mPas 1,59
Friability % 88,0
Glassiness % 1,8
Protein, dry basis % 10,2
Soluble protein, dry basis % 4,2
Soluble nitrogen mg/100g 672
Kolbach index % 41,2
Hartong index (VZ 45° C) % 36
Wort colour EBC 3,6
Wort colour Lovibond 1,8
Boiled wort colour EBC 5,4
Wort ph 5,90
Grading> 2,5 mm % 94,0
Grading < 2,2 mm % 0,5
Beta-Glucan 45° mg/100g 107
Beta-Glucan 65° mg/100g 163

Your most likely going to have enough breakdown during the sac rest to forgo the protein rest. This malt is modified enough that it will probably be counterproductive for head retention....

According to Gordon Strong he often step mashes Pilsner malt. 131(10-15 minutes), to 149-155. The first step is not only for head retention but for reducing chill haze as well.

_

It is not needed, which however, is different from shouldn't do one. It is modified enough such that you will probably get a clear beer with decent body and head. In my experience though, I find there is some room for improvement if one wants to take the time and effort to do so.

I almost always do a protein rest when I use pilsner malt. I typically do no more than 20 min. at 122 F, then a rest at 146-7, and then 158-60, and then 170 F. The times for the saccharification steps vary depending on how full I want the beers.

My beers are very clear, have lots of body, and head out the ying-yang.

We always hear to long a protein rest will result in a thin tasting beer. This is very true, but this then highlights the importance of proteins in the characteristics of a beer. However very few people seem to worry about the protein - and miss out on a wonderful way to tweak a brew.

Great points - thanks for the feedback folks. I think I will try a short protein rest on this batch of Pilsner tomorrow. Then I can compare it to my recent Kolsch, which had a very similar grain bill, but was a single infusion.

Back