The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any body watch any of the playoffs yesterday? Seen some pretty rough play already and the fight at the end of the NY and LA game was ridiculous.

Ugh, I was in Alaska for work this weekend but I heard about the abismal performance by my Sounders. I'll watch the game tonight, but things went from hopeful for the playoffs to pretty far out of touch. Come on 4-0 shutout! Reno don't be putting out any good vibes towards Real SL.

It's real unfortunate about Seattle... I thought they were going to be the biggest competition for LA.

The may still be... they just need to put on a great performance.

But I have just three words to say about LAvNY: Motherf**kin' Mike Magee.

BainbridgeBrewer said:
Well I better send the wifey an e-mail warning her of the game tonight. She may want to make plans due to a screaming fan downstairs.... e-mail sent.

Good move.

You win 50 man-points

Should've had a few goals already. That was an amazing block of Jeff Parke's shot. Its too bad we've had to sub two players already in the first 20 minutes.

On the plus side, my Jubelale clone turned out great and I'm on my third mug of the keg!

Disappointing result for Seattle considering how hard they played.

Well done, Rave Green. Throughout the entire regular season and tonight... great stuff.

On the plus side, they finally won a postseason match :D

They played with pride and were just a tad bit unlucky this last one.

What will be hard is waiting till the season starts up again. We'll see what they do in the offseason.

There was a lot of energy in last nights game. If they had made a better appearance in game one that would have been even more exciting last night.

Personally I think they looke that dominant because RSL knew all they had to do was hold them, they already had a 3 point lead, although even with that it was close.

They played with pride and were just a tad bit unlucky this last one.

What will be hard is waiting till the season starts up again. We'll see what they do in the offseason.

Yeah I'm curious to see where they make changes. I feel like we need more speed in the wings. Zakuani was missed this season. Defense tends to make stupid mistakes too which was the cause for a lot of the goals against us this year. I'm also very concerned with the goalies. I haven't been very impressed with Boss the few times I watched him play before his concussion. The third string isn't that great either. Keller is going to be a tough act to follow I realize, but the guys we have right now worry me.

We're number 3! We're number 3!

MLS passed the NBA in average attendance to go #3 in the US.

I have three important things to state:

1) LA in the final, mofos!

2) So awesome that soccer is #3 in America (sorry for bringing it back up... just read an article about it)

3) Found a really interesting paper that shows, mathematically, next season can have a balanced schedule with 19 teams. The model reduces East-to-West and vice versa travel and takes CCL and FIFA dates into account.

It's written by a Vancouver Southsider. I like it. Good read, especially if you're in the sciences and can easily read journal articles. Check it out here.

Does anybody know why the MLS conference semifinals were a 2 game series with aggregate score winning, but the conference finals were just one game? It doesn't make much sense to me, especially since the MLS cup is two more weekends away. I'm a Galaxy fan, so I'm glad they're in the final already, but it would make more sense to me if the conference finals were also a 2 game aggregate score series. More games=more revenue.

Does anybody know why the MLS conference semifinals were a 2 game series with aggregate score winning, but the conference finals were just one game? It doesn't make much sense to me, especially since the MLS cup is two more weekends away. I'm a Galaxy fan, so I'm glad they're in the final already, but it would make more sense to me if the conference finals were also a 2 game aggregate score series. More games=more revenue.

I'm with you, I don't get it. But they do similar things with Champions League in Europe.... after group stages, everything is home and away series....... EXCEPT THE STINKING FINAL. And while I understand that the final is at an allegedly neutral site, it just seems goofy to me to have more games for every other round but the finals.

It seems especially goofy when you consider that, in theory, according to the seedings... you have far less need for multiple games early in the process. The matchups should be more lopsided, and you'd be less likely to have the "lesser" team win. Once you get to the finals, you should have two very well matched teams, and they should have to play multiple games to truly determine who is best.

Yeah it's a weird concept and I'm not sure how to feel about it.

They should just do it CONCACAF Champions League style: home-and-home aggregate series for each stage, including the final.

I'm with you, I don't get it. But they do similar things with Champions League in Europe.... after group stages, everything is home and away series....... EXCEPT THE STINKING FINAL. And while I understand that the final is at an allegedly neutral site, it just seems goofy to me to have more games for every other round but the finals.

It seems especially goofy when you consider that, in theory, according to the seedings... you have far less need for multiple games early in the process. The matchups should be more lopsided, and you'd be less likely to have the "lesser" team win. Once you get to the finals, you should have two very well matched teams, and they should have to play multiple games to truly determine who is best.

The group stages in Europe are also home and away formats. Each team in the group plays each other twice. Once at home and once away. They just don't use the two-legged tie (aggregate) scoring system during the group stage. The reasons for the home and away (two-legged ties / home and away group stage matches) has everything to do with ratings (high profile matches) and putting butts in seats.

The group stages in Europe are also home and away formats. Each team in the group plays each other twice. Once at home and once away. They just don't use the two-legged tie (aggregate) scoring system during the group stage. The reasons for the home and away (two-legged ties / home and away group stage matches) has everything to do with ratings (high profile matches) and putting butts in seats.

Understood. I only said "after the group stage" because the group stage is a different format entirely, but I understand where the confusion could have come from there.

My point wasn't "why do they do home and away" for everything else, it was "why the heck do they only do one game for the finals if everything else merits two." :p

My point wasn't "why do they do home and away" for everything else, it was "why the heck do they only do one game for the finals if everything else merits two." :p

Honestly I think it is to do with fans being able to watch their teams in the tournament. Home and away fixtures add the element of home fans into the battle. In the end, all sports are entertainment businesses. As far as the final goes having a penultimate match in at a neutral location makes the single game more of a spectacle. More people watching means higher ratings I suppose. I love the format in Europe....but I also love the play-off format in the States. They both bring the home fans into the game differently. I don't see any issue with the way either of the formats work. I think they both achieve the same purpose.

I went to the 2009 final here at Qwest between LA and RSL. It was a little strange to be watching two teams from the MLS play each other while the majority of the fans are wearing the local team's colors. It seemed like fans were cheering for, and talking trash to both sides equally. It became more about individual players, and our opinions of them instead of a true love for the team. The majority weren't chanting songs because the Sounders weren't there, the actual RSL and LA fans were in little pockets way up in the upper stands. I think a home and home situation would make more money for the league and the teams, and the actual fans would enjoy it much more. Its like every superbowl party I go to, except that one against the damn Steelers. The Seahawks aren't there so I'll usually just eat the food and drink the beer without caring who wins.

I think a home and home situation would make more money for the league and the teams, and the actual fans would enjoy it much more. Its like every superbowl party I go to, except that one against the damn Steelers. The Seahawks aren't there so I'll usually just eat the food and drink the beer without caring who wins.

But then that would alienate a large portion of neutral fans as well as cities from the opportunity of hosting and/or attending. I watch the finals in every sport that I enjoy because I like a good match, even if my team isn't in the game. I like the single game, neutral ground final concept. Actually, there is typically always a chance that a team will have home field advantage in a final (LA). I am of the opposite opinion related to multi-game finals. I think that kind of structure is best suited for baseball and should stay there.

But then that would alienate a large portion of neutral fans as well as cities from the opportunity of hosting and/or attending. I watch the finals in every sport that I enjoy because I like a good match, even if my team isn't in the game. I like the single game, neutral ground final concept. Actually, there is typically always a chance that a team will have home field advantage in a final (LA). I am of the opposite opinion related to multi-game finals. I think that kind of structure is best suited for baseball and should stay there.

But should there be that much concern for the neutral fan? If they want they can watch it on TV or if they really need their fix they can travel. Unless the final is in Butt-F**king-Egypt (read: Rio Tinto) there will be at least a couple of nearby markets.

Doing a home-and-away series for the final should be a reward for the supporters for sticking with their club and cheering their collective asses off. It would almost guarantee sell-out crowds at both matches.

But should there be that much concern for the neutral fan?

That's a good question to be sure. The issue with the neutral fan is probably not as big a concern as the neutral (or maybe not always neutral) city. That concept is very much engrained with the single game final structure. It's about celebrating the penultimate game a way in which it does not leave any participating city out (I expect). It's a huge advertisement for the game in the city which the final is held (fan building).

I like what the two-legged structures do for the champs league. Mostly due to the vast distances involved for the fans and celebrating the competition for each set of home fans and their country. I am not certain that the same format belongs in the MLS playoffs. The NFL playoff system (with home field advantage a reward for a better regular season) works well. As does the final game being a 1 match winner take all. I think that separating a final into two legs will lessen the intensity involved in an all or nothing scenario.

Good point on the all or nothing aspect. It does hype things up a bit.

I guess, by chance, the ss winner got home field advantage in the final. And that is a big advantage... literally. The pitch at hdc is huge. Maybe the largest legal dimensions.

Good point on the all or nothing aspect. It does hype things up a bit.

I guess, by chance, the ss winner got home field advantage in the final. And that is a big advantage... literally. The pitch at hdc is huge. Maybe the largest legal dimensions.

Yeah, maybe it is a hype thing. For things like CL, maybe its possible that the TV revenue from having the one ULTIMATE GAME outweighs the extra income from the second match of a home and home series. So maybe it really does work out for the best for the league to do the home and homes up til the final, I dunno.

I guess my problem just comes from my idealistic view that if you're going to have a playoff, you shouldn't at any point have fewer games in any given "series" as the games get more important. At the risk of being overly dramatic, it seems like if you're not striving to ensure the best team wins, you're to some extent sacrificing the integrity of the game.

Again, that's idealistic me talking. I also understand that whatever generates the most hype and cash for the sport also has its own value, and maybe that, in the long run, is more important.

I'll just satisfy myself by thinking of it thus: I wouldn't have a problem if everything was one game and done. And they just added an extra game to the early matchups to make fans happy. :D I need to not think of the finals as being fewer games, just think of everything else as an extra game. ;)

I agree that the single game ramps up the intensity that the double final approach leaves out.

As for the neutral city aspect, I wonder if they've thought about having non-member cities host the final. Meaning cities that don't currently have an MLS team. Sort of like you were saying ThickHead as a way for fan building, and a way to expand the sport throughout the country. Maybe that'd get us into the #2 slot!

I guess my problem just comes from my idealistic view that if you're going to have a playoff, you shouldn't at any point have fewer games in any given "series" as the games get more important. At the risk of being overly dramatic, it seems like if you're not striving to ensure the best team wins, you're to some extent sacrificing the integrity of the game.

I see where you are coming from with this. I never really thought of two-legged ties as a "series" before you mentioned it. I have always looked at it as a format completely separate from what I was ever used to growing up in the states. I still think that the only sport that requires a "series" for playoffs and championship is baseball. In my opinion, the inclusion of that format into other sports (where pitching is no factor) is pointless. I'm not knocking on the systems for Hockey and Basketball...just saying I don't get the logic (other than TV and ticket sales revenue) of applying a "series" format within those sports.

As for the neutral city aspect, I wonder if they've thought about having non-member cities host the final. Meaning cities that don't currently have an MLS team.

Not sure how this would work. The most problematic aspect being the need for the infrastructure to host a game. Obviously all that is really needed in terms of infrastructure is a suitable venue. However, if I had to watch an MLS final played on an American Football field (lines and all) I would probably pull out my hair. Proper stadiums coming into the league has been huge for the game in my opinion. Not to celebrate these venues (as a priority) would be a poor decision.

I'm not knocking on the systems for Hockey and Basketball...just saying I don't get the logic (other than TV and ticket sales revenue) of applying a "series" format within those sports.

The other benefit I see to a series is that it makes it more likely that the best team wins. Now, it all depends on what you want from your playoff whether that's a good thing or not. I mean, what are the odds that Villanova wins the 1985 National Championship if every round was a best of 3 series? Not very good. So if you like upsets and underdogs, then single games are awesome.

Not sure how this would work. The most problematic aspect being the need for the infrastructure to host a game. Obviously all that is really needed in terms of infrastructure is a suitable venue. However, if I had to watch an MLS final played on an American Football field (lines and all) I would probably pull out my hair. Proper stadiums coming into the league has been huge for the game in my opinion. Not to celebrate these venues (as a priority) would be a poor decision.

Ugh, yeah, I hate watching games where you can see the football lines.

I imagine you would probably be fine filling a stadium for a one time event in cities that didn't have soccer, so that wouldn't be as much of an issue. But it just seems like you should have the final in a soccer city.

They could have the final in Vegas....

I was opposed at first to the idea but the more and the more the proposal hangs around, the more I think Las Vegas has a really good chance to be the 20th MLS club. They are in the top-10 cities for population size and have had a great youth and adult soccer culture for some time now.

So this is totally unrelated to soccer... but my telephone at home has talking caller ID. And I got a call from Reno yesterday. It was pretty amusing, because it told me I had a call from Reno En Vee.

...I think Las Vegas has a really good chance to be the 20th MLS club.

I think it will be the Cosmos. The American game needs more local derby matches. Although a lack of infrastructure may set them back. The next expansion will be interesting. There are a lot of names in the hat.

So this is totally unrelated to soccer... but my telephone at home has talking caller ID. And I got a call from Reno yesterday. It was pretty amusing, because it told me I had a call from Reno En Vee.

:rockin:

I think it will be the Cosmos. The American game needs more local derby matches. Although a lack of infrastructure may set them back. The next expansion will be interesting. There are a lot of names in the hat.

But what about the ownership fallout and the fact that Don Garber said he was making more ground with three other potential owners in NY, none of them being the Cosmos.

But what about the ownership fallout...

Honestly I don't know much about the current situation. I have been under the impression that ownership has changed but the goal is the same.

...and the fact that Don Garber said he was making more ground with three other potential owners in NY, none of them being the Cosmos.

Didn't here about this.

So C.J. "Hope Solo, Hope Solo" Sapong got Rookie of the Year and Omar "Gonzilla" Gonzalez got Defender of the Year. Both well deserved.

They just posted the MLS Best XI for 2011. I agree with this completely

G - Kasey Keller (SEA)
D - Jamison Olave (RSL)
D - Omar Gonzalez (LA)
D - Todd Dunivant (LA)
M - Landon Donovan (LA)
M - David Beckham (LA)
M - Brek Shea (DAL)
M - Brad Davis (HOU)
M - Dwayne De Rosario (DC)
F - Chris Wondolowski (SJ)
F - Thierry Henry (NY)

I'm a little chapped about not even having Ozzy Alonso, Seattle's defensive midfielder not win best defender or be a part of the first 11. Alonso led the league in tackles and take aways by a large margin. Gonzalez while a great player, didn't disrupt other teams attacks as often and as successfully as Ozzy did. It's a shame that Ozzy didn't get recognition on the first 11 because they went only on offense, because out of that grouping of mid fielders only Davis really plays any defense.

Keller and Alonso kept Seattle's defense together, which is what is so troubling for Seattle fans for next season with Keller retiring. It's going to be really hard to replace Keller and his leadership for this club.

Back