Water container for fermentation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pokerfreak2

Reaction score
I am wondering if it would be ok to use this 55 gallon water container for fermenting a 1 barrel batch of beer.

http://www.shelfreliance.com/55-gallon-water-container.html

I was thinking it would be pretty easy to rig up an air lock or blow off tube.
I would use it for primary fermentation. Let the beer ferment in this then keg condition for couple more weeks.
Do you see any problems with this idea ?

Wonder how much grain would fit in one of those... Is it possible to get the lid off, or is it all molded plastic, with just small openings??

Golddiggie, I am not sure if the lid is removable or not. It looks like it will in the picture.

Looks like the Central MA/CT grain buy is going to happen (if we can get the sack count up to 42, only need a few more)... So, I'll need something solid to store my 5 sacks of grain in... With only three types of grain, I could go with larger containers for two of the types. I'll probably look around to see what I can find that will work well... I might just get some foodsaver bag rolls (large sized) and make 5 pound bags for each of the sacks... Vacuum packing them should mean they'll be very fresh until I'm ready to crush them. :ban: Of course, I'll need to get that barley crusher once the grain is ordered... :rockin: Next order of specialty grains will be whole, so that I can crush them as needed...

Really looking forward to all this.

Back