What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good price? Around $125-150. I've never paid for wood but have seen a cord go for $175-225 delivered here in CT. I'd say CT marks-up prices on everything. Why? Because we're the red-headed step child of New York Schitty.

So, yeah. I'd say <$150 delivered is legit.

How many of these make a cord? At this price, a cord is $2, 987.06543

These..

1415674387827.jpg

I don't know...this is my first Avery beer and I have seen people showing other Avery brews and liking them. Karma is a limited release pale ale..."estery Belgian-style" and made with "imported Belgian specialty malts, hops, and Belgian yeast." First, I don't see a date on the bottle anywhere. I expect more of a hops presence in a pale ale...if there ever was one, it has faded. If this is reasonably fresh, then I'm just not getting it. The color is pretty, the carb is a little light. The malt is very much predominant in the aroma and especially the flavor. Body feels heavy for a pale ale. As I've said before, I'm new at taking on evaluating beers at this level, so I might be WAY off on this one. It reminds me a lot of the malt in Troeg's Nugget Nectar, but just completely without the hops. Anybody else out there had this beer and want to set me straight of back me up?

IMAG3843.jpg

So how is it? I'm looking at ageing my RIS long term. Did u age on any bourbon or oak?? Is there any carbonation left or is it as flat as it looks.

Tastes great, but it's flat as it looks. It was in a Belgian 750, corked. Sat on whiskey soaked oak for a few weeks in secondary. I'm going to try the waxed bombed next time to see if that held carbonation better.

Sounds good! I just opened one...and it's definitely different from the non-fermented. It's still sweet, but definitely has an alcohol twang. The regular ginger beer is a little whitish in color and the fermented is more clear. It is definitely a different critter from any other fermented beverage I have done, but pretty simple and straight-forward. This and my pineapple tepache are not far removed from tropical hooch...but somebody has to do it, right?!

I went back and looked at my notes...evidently, it was a pain in the butt to get the fermentation going and I was having trouble getting SG readings. My best guess was that the ABV was somewhere around 3 to 3.25%.

I just know that there is no such thing as enough ginger. I had a commercial hard ginger beer a couple weeks ago and loved it. I put a **** ton (metric ass load) of ginger in a kolsh once and it was great. Aside from barley, hops and rye, it is the best thing to make a drink out of. That said... Sweet is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah,I knew it was overcarbed...but hoping it was still enjoyable. Not complex or anything, but despite being an extract/partial mash, I used some good Kona blend, cold brewed coffee at bottling and Costa Rican cocoa husks in the boil and nibs in the secondary. I just felt like it was missing something. Let me know what you have left, I'll ID them for you! And good luck with the shoulder surgery. SWMBO had what was probably a more involved rotator cuff surgery recently and it has been a long, frustrating recovery...but she's getting there.

It was definitely still enjoyable. Thanks for sharing and thanks for the well wishes on the surgery. I'll PM you later on today or tomorrow and let you know what I have left. Thanks.

Currently drinking on this big, bad beast of a beer. I don't think I need to say much about this one as it already has a reputation. As good as this is, I like regular AB better.

_DSC3634.jpg

I just know that there is no such thing as enough ginger. I had a commercial hard ginger beer a couple weeks ago and loved it. I put a **** ton (metric ass load) of ginger in a kolsh once and it was great. Aside from barley, hops and rye, it is the best thing to make a drink out of. That said... Sweet is bad.

If you don't like it sweet, then push me down your list a few notches. This was made following the Trinidadian recipe and I get the impression that they like it sweet and not at all hot. After I satisfy my brother in-law, I'm thinking that my next batch is going to suit your tastes and mine a lot more! But with the weather cooling off, It probably won't be until next Summer. But I'll kick up ginger volume big time. I'll add more sugar, but ferment it out for a higher ABV, too.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415680889.358754.jpg
F this cold. It's not supposed to get above 32 for a week.

Guess I need to just keep myself lubricated with a little anti-freeze.

Wasn't made with a disposal motor, was it ?? ... :D
good luck with it, great to have ... :)
Nah. It's motor less. I'll use my drill I hope.
Yeah,I knew it was overcarbed...but hoping it was still enjoyable. Not complex or anything, but despite being an extract/partial mash, I used some good Kona blend, cold brewed coffee at bottling and Costa Rican cocoa husks in the boil and nibs in the secondary. I just felt like it was missing something. Let me know what you have left, I'll ID them for you! And good luck with the shoulder surgery. SWMBO had what was probably a more involved rotator cuff surgery recently and it has been a long, frustrating recovery...but she's getting there.

Tomorrow, I drive to Yale, VA. with the two younger kids for a one day visit to see my Mom and sister/brother-in-law...probably last chance before Christmas. Mom is more of a wine drinker, but she likes beer ok, so, I'll taker her a sixer. Brother-in-law is from Trinidad, so I'm taking some ginger beer (non-alcoholic) to him that I made following a Trinidadian recipe. I'm also taking up a couple bottles of fermented ginger beer...we'll see what he thinks.

I decided to open a bottle of each of the ginger beers, regular and fermented, to see how they taste before I deliver them. This is the non-alcoholic. A bit sweet for me, but I think that's the style. I little more carbonation would be okay, but I didn't want bottle bombs and I had to pasteurized them. (New computer is confusing me...tried to rotate the photo...not how it came out. Argh.)
Fermented ginger beer? Want.
Very cool, buying base malt in bulk is one of the biggest cuts to my price per batch.
Yeah, pricing it and sourcing it now. 2-row, MO, and probably caramel 60 to start.

It looks like uplands public sour sale is next Saturday and I will be in the area for work. Are these things really worth 25 bucks a bottle, keeping in mind that I have no interest in them myself and would just be bifing them. Translation, are they worth a half a case of zombie dust per bottle?

In a nutshell, yes. They make awesome sours. At the last microbrewery fest in Broad Ripple, the had a sour line going and hardly anyone was in it (mostly bc when they started cracking sours, most people were just focused on getting lit at that point). Let's just say I spent a good amount of time there.

I agree. On the bright side though, should keep deer on the move, so hopefully I'll have a prosperous opening weekend

Coff.

Might take the day off from drinking as yesterday was a rough one.

Hmmm ... Didn't you say you had the day off? I think you're getting smacked. :fro: :mug:

I do have the day off from work. However, I'm spending it outside sawing and splitting more wood since it's rather nice outside today. It's the perfect fall day for beer.

I do have the day off from work. However, I'm spending it outside sawing and splitting more wood since it's rather nice outside today. It's the perfect fall day for beer.

You know I was giving you crap. :) So what do you do when you run out of trees? Serious question because it sounds like you've cut down hundreds.

Gas station coffee, which is a huge step up from factory coffee.

Lots of new hires today. Going to pull my hair out but it just makes the beer taste better after work when the day is long.

You know I was giving you crap. :) So what do you do when you run out of trees? Serious question because it sounds like you've cut down hundreds.

Never run out. I either cut them down or get wood delivered from my buddy who owns a tree-cutting business. He pays to get rid of wood so drops some off at my house instead.

Another big cup of Coff.

2nd cup of coffee myself. Trying to get bright before writing some more of book two of my Time Lords 2034 series. The tribulations of The New Camelot aren't over yet!...:mug:

Never run out. I either cut them down or get wood delivered from my buddy who owns a tree-cutting business. He pays to get rid of wood so drops some off at my house instead.

Another big cup of Coff.

Thats a good man to know ...;)

Back