Adding DME to hit OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
How do you calculate how much DME to add in order to hit your OG if you are using a refractometer?

Today I took refractometer readings at 0 min (6 plato), 15 min (7 plato), 30 (8 plato), 40 min (between 8 and 9 plato). I was aiming at a FG of 11 plato, so I added a .5 lb DME in order to try to hit my OG as sort of a guess using Beer Tools, but was unsure at the time if it was right. Using a hydrometer after I adjusted for the temperature the OG was 1.045 (about 11 plate).

Is there any formula for how much DME to add at a certain time when you realize you aren't going to hit your OG? Examples would be fantastic!

You would need to know your points per gallon per pound of the DME and then do a little math.

Sorry, but I don't speak plato.

1lb of dry extract will raise the gravity of 1 gallon of wort 45 points. So.... say you have 5 gallons of wort at 1.040 and you wanted it at 1.055.

55-40 = 15 points short/gallon

15 points X 5 Gallons = 75 points need to be added.

75/45 = 1.67 lbs of DME to hit the proper gravity

Latest posts

Back