Stone IPA Clone Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewFrisco

Reaction score
Hello - I am a huge fan of most of the Stone beers. I would like to make a clone of the standard IPA but need some assistance with my recipe.

Let me know what you think. I want to use the Columbus hop's somewhere in this as I believe this is what gives the Stone IPA that distinct taste.

Should I dry-hop with the Columbus?

1Lb. Crystal Malt 20L
7.25Lb. Pale LME
1Lb. Pale DME
0.5Lb. Malto-Dextrin (suggest anything different here?)

1 oz Chinook @60 minutes
2 oz Centennial @15 minutes (added with 1 tsp Irish Moss)
1 oz Cascade @1 minute
Columbus pellets – Dry Hop?

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Dry hopped: 1/2 oz Columbus hops - 1 Week in secondary?

Lastly - I don't know how to determine what my gravity should be on this recipe - how do I determine this? Looking for 6.9ABV when done.

Thanks in advance.

Outstanding...so Ed's version is from AHS and is an AG recipe. If my calcs are correct, I just need to slim down the pale with some LME. So my new recipe looks like this.

7.25# Pale LME
1# Pale
1# Munich
1# Crystal 20L

1 oz. Columbus 60 minutes (slight deviation from Ed's AHS Version)
1 oz. Centennial 15 minutes
1 oz. Centennial 5 minutes

Dry Yeast - Safale US-05

Dry Hop - Dry Hop with 1 oz. Centennial.

Oh...also, when I went to AHS to order the extract kit it came to $75 with shipping and a second yeast. $75 seems a bit steep to me for some extracts and grains. If my extract conversion is correct, I will pay around $55 shipped. I don't understand where the extra $20 goes?

Hey BrewFrisco, do you have beersmith? I could upload the file for you from the recipe in BYO. It turns out fantastic. Took 2nd place out of 51 beers.

Unfortunately, I do not have BeerSmith - is this a must have for the weekend warrior brewer? I would love the recipe - can you export a report of some sort?

Here ya go. I've heard many people say to use WLP007 Dry English Ale instead of WLP002. I brewed this and forgot to up my efficiency giving me a OG of 1.092. WLP002 took it down to 1.011. If/when I do it again I will use WLP007.

Link

Awesome! This one looks like what I am after.....great extract brew (bill of material) and instructions! I will post up my results - brew set for this weekend.

Thanks for this link. Stone IPA is my next clone effort, and this is a good starting point. Whenever in SoCal I try to make a trip to Escondido as I like the food, the brews, the ambiance.

Here ya go. I've heard many people say to use WLP007 Dry English Ale instead of WLP002. I brewed this and forgot to up my efficiency giving me a OG of 1.092. WLP002 took it down to 1.011. If/when I do it again I will use WLP007.

Link

Yep, on a recent interview with the brewer at Stone on CYBI (The Brewing Network.com - Shows and Podcasts: The Jamil Show ) they didn't get the recipe quite right, but they said that WLP007 was the closest yeast for a Stone beer, minus the Belgian ones they have done of course.

The brewer also said that White labs keeps their yeast for them too.

Back