Small Chest Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicotineRush

Reaction score
I have a new, small, chest freezer and a Brewers Edge controller. The controller worked great with my refrigerator but I'm having trouble with the new freezer. Where should I set the temp control on the freezer? All the way up or all the way down?
Thanks

Thanks, that's what I thought and I tried that first. Controller is set at 68 with 5 degree differential. Once the freezer got to 68, when I went to check it, the freezer was down to 49 degrees!

Is the probe touching the walls of the freezer? that could throw the reading off.

If you aren't using a thermowell for actual wort temps in fermentation, then you need to isolate the thermister/probe to ambient air readings.

Thanks. No it's not touching the wall but it is just hanging free in the freezer. I would put it in a jug of h20 but the probe line isn't long enough in my configuration. I'll see what I can do.

On it's coldest setting and then let the outboard controller take over.

Are there any ramifications to setting the freezer to a higher (warmer) setting? It appears that although the controller shuts the freezer off at the required temp, the freezer continues to cool quite a bit before stabilizing

Are there any ramifications to setting the freezer to a higher (warmer) setting? It appears that although the controller shuts the freezer off at the required temp, the freezer continues to cool quite a bit before stabilizing

no, because even the warmest setting on a chest freezer is below 32F (usually 28F from what I've seen)

Back