Can I do a hard Iced tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmystank

Reaction score
I was looking around HBT for a hard iced tea recipe and came up with a little. Ive made a hard cider with the usual apple juice sugar etc. so can I do the same process but just replace the apple juice with iced tea? I read somewhere it wont work out.

Also about the "killing" the yeast and ending fermentation, whats up with that?

Lastly Ive heard of "backsweetening" batch but Im unsure of how and when to do this? Thanks...

Yeah I think you have to backsweeten it..

I made some hard Ice Tea a few months ago. Took some black tea.. then dumped a ton of sugar in it. But the yeast eats all the sugar and leaves it tasting like carbonated black tea with alcohol in it.

Are you planning on bottling or kegging? Do you want the final mix to be still (no bubbles) or carbonated (bubbles)?

I've been researching this. Some common responses are going to be that you should just mix vodka and iced tea and throw it in a bottle. I, for one, prefer a more DIY approach.

I'd like to steep the number of tea bags (or brew a concentrated 5 gallon batch with an appropriate amount of loose leaves) in 180*F water for about 10 minutes. I'll top off with honey, lemons, mint, whatever added flavorings I wish, along with enough simple syrup (water + sugar boiled for about 5 minutes) to raise OG to about 1.050 (6.5% potential ABV). I'll ferment to completion (probably with wine yeast).

If I plan on kegging and bottling from the keg, I'll backsweeten with Splenda. Alternatively, I can stabilize the mix (stun the yeast) with potassium sorbate and sodium metabisulfite (campden tabs), let it sit for a week, then backsweeten with sugar.

If I plan on bottle conditioning, I'll have to backsweeten with nonfermentable sugar (like Splenda from above) or lactose (will taste weird in iced tea), add priming sugar as usual and carbonate in the bottle.

I know I've missed something in the process. I've never stabilized and backsweetened with real sugar--anyone with more experience on this aspect wanting to chime in?

I plan on bottling it. Yeah I figured Id just give it a try since I DO NOT want to just dump some vodka in iced tea, thats just boring. I guess Ill know from my gravity readings if it works.

If you're bottle conditioning and you want it carbonated, sounds like you'll need to add some Splenda. Test it in a small sample you draw off your primary once fermentation is done, but I've added ap to 1-1/2 cups per gallon to sweeten "enough".

So you think this would work? The dump a bunch of gallon bottles of iced tea, sugar and some lemonade concentrate and of course yeast approach.

If you're going the pre-bottled iced tea route, use one like Arizona. Some of their brews don't have preservatives (like potassium sorbate, etc.) which, if present, will prevent the yeast from multiplying/fermenting.

If you're preservative-free, no reason you can't dump it together and ferment it to see what happens. It appears backsweetening is necessary to prevent the "this just tastes like alcoholic tea" taste.

Yeah I figured Id have to backsweeten the hell outta this thing. Thanks alot for the advice.

I've made one batch so far of Hard Tea. I really enjoy "Twisted Tea" On a hot summers day and thought it would be cool to make something close at home. So far I've only just started and done 1 batch. Here's what I did. It turned out good but will up the tea next time.

3 gallons "Arizona Sweet Tea"
2 LBS of Dextrose
6 lemons juiced
steep 20 small tea bags in 16 cups of water. Boil before adding to fermentor
Nottingham Yeast
throw it all in the fermentor.

I did not carbonate this batch. It turned out good. A little yeasty taste the first sip or two but good. Next time I'll double the amount of tea bags I steeped to give it more tea flavor

Does it really need to be that "tea-concentrated" for the tea flavor to come through?

Looks like you lowered the water required by the bagged tea by about 25%, did that allow a distinct tea flavor to come through?

I'm going to try a batch of tea by creating a malt base and then adding a concentrated tea mixture made with Lipton bags steeped in. I'm hoping to hit 1.060 or 1.070 prior to adding the tea concentrate. Then I'll back sweeten after the ferment is done. I'm hoping to have a finished product similar to "Twisted tea".

Cheers,

Joe Gill
Mount Baldy Brewing, LLC
Townsend, MT

Latest posts

Back