banged my glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiud

Reaction score
Looking for some input...

Have a new 6 gallon glass carboy, while moving it, accidentally banged it on the side of the toliet. as a result there is a pin size scratch on the surface. the inside appears ok. I'm wondering if it will cause a problem using it to ferment? It appears to be a superficial scratch but no crack, but I can't tell, it's small.

I'm wondering if it's like a cracked windshield that over time the crack gets larger and larger.

Am I just worried for nothing? I've been using better bottles and I think I will stick to better bottles.

thanks

What do you use for a carrier? I use the brew hauler style carriers ( you can find on morebeer.com) and it is a much more stable way for me to carry the carboys.

I am just wondering why your carboy was in the bathroom?:D

Actually brewing has had a long history in the bathroom. Bathtub Gin for example...or using the shower to clean the carboy...or using the tub as a cooling trough in the summer....or.....well.....if it isn't one of those 3, I don't want anything to do with you in a beer swap:confused::D:drunk:

Mine fits nicely in a sturdy (metal re-inforced top ring) plastic milk crate. Helps protect it and gives you solid handles to hold onto. If your concerned about the scratch you might be able to run a bead of super glue down it to help seal it up.

haha...nice.

I usually ferment in my downstair bathroom in the shower area. It's the coolest and also have the most consistent temperature. I also figured that if it overflows, I won't have as much of a mess. I can just spray the area down. Thanks for the input. Feel better.

You obviously missed the thread title...

Awesome..

But on topic, the used carboys I have have some scratches on the outside, I've not had any issues with them, other than when cleaning them I always find that spot and try to clean it off, and well... it doesn't of course.

Back