New Hop Variety: Belma- Puterbaugh Farms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope everyone will be kind enough to post recipes here to help develop some information about these new Belma hops for everyone. I plan to do a White IPA with it first.

Anyone else get their hops yet? I just checked my scale and 8 oz of water from measuring cup was 8.1 oz on the scale. I feel confident that my 18.4 oz was as true a measurement as I can get without switching to a triple beam balance. Hopefully everyone who ordered will get a bit extra to play with as well. :mug:

Just ordered 5lbs of Belma. I'd hate to wind up loving it and not be able to get more (especially at 5.25/lb.)

Nice, I regret not buying more and I haven't even gotten them yet. Hope they have some in stock when they release pellets in a few weeks and I'll get more if this first brew goes well.

I bought a pound of Citra and 2 lbs of Belma, but I don't have real high expectations. I'm planning on brewing an IPA with Cascade, Centennial, Belma for finishing and Simcoe & Belma for dry hop. I think for every hop that works well on it's own there are 10 that don't so I'm going to skip the SMaSH; insted I'll mix with hops that I can recognize the flavors/aromas and see what it adds.

Got mine yesterday and threw an ounce in with my other dry hops for a IIPA. When I opened the bag and smelled them I got a dankness reminiscent of columbus. I sucked the air out of the bag to get a "taste" of them and definitely got strawberry/pineapple notes. Almost like a strawberry lemonade. Quite fruity.

I'm hoping they pelletize them, if they do I'll grab a few lbs of those. If not, I'll pick up some leaf. I'll probably do an IPA recipe that's tried and true to see how this hop turns out.

I'm going to split 10 gallons of pale and single hop them. Serve them side by side and let as many people as I can taste them.

djavatar said:
According to their Facebook page they are going to pelletize them. :mug:

Oh snap. Might have to get a few more pounds of pellets if the club likes them. Hopefully they will keep that price point for the pellets too. Tomorrow I am going to do a belma amber per the wifes request. Will post the recipe here if I deem it a success.

im going to get going on this in a few mins. i'll be pitching on top of an active S-04 yeast cake...

6 gallons:

11.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 oz Belma [12.10%] (60 min) Hops 25.6 IBU
1.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (10 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (5 min) Hops 6.8 IBU
1.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
2.00 oz Belma [12.10%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 44.8 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 3.8 SRM

Opened up one of my two bags and it smelled great. Had a resiny-fruity smell, when I rubbed apart a few flowers got lots of strawberry & honeydew melon and a general sweet smell. Also after breaking into smaller bags, it was 19.1oz after removing some stems; so definitely a generous pound, especially for the price (basically worked out to be $11 a lb shipped to PA, so $0.58 an ounce).

Beezer94 said:
Opened up one of my two bags and it smelled great. Had a resiny-fruity smell, when I rubbed apart a few flowers got lots of strawberry & honeydew melon and a general sweet smell. Also after breaking into smaller bags, it was 19.1oz after removing some stems; so definitely a generous pound, especially for the price (basically worked out to be $11 a lb shipped to PA, so $0.58 an ounce).

I am so stoked for this hop. Definitely getting a few lbs considering the price. Your description sounds awesome!

I recieved 2oz from a guy at work that ordered some. I'm going to do a hop bursted (30 min +) American Amber with it tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it comes out in a couple of weeks.

I am going to try this recipe soon. Btw must have been a pretty cool guy to just give you Hops...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Belma Breakwater Pale Ale 10Gal
Brewer: Lucky Beagle Brewing Co.
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 11.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 10.92 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 44.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 84.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
16 lbs Pale Malt - 2 Row (Cargill) (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 92.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel Malt - 60L (Cargill) (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.3 %
10.0 oz Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.6 %
1.00 oz Marynka [8.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Marynka [8.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min Hop 5 14.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 7.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 5.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 8 0.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 9 -
3.00 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 6.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 25.72 qt of water at 164.1 F 154.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.76gal, 6.10gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Base recipe from NB Breakwater Pale Ale recipe.

Looks like we have a few good recipes with Belma used in different situations, hopefully the results are good.

I'm going to test them out in a hopbursted pale ale using the Belmas exclusively. Golden promise base with 2-2.5% special B for a little color and flavor. All hops at 20min or less. OG ~1.056, IBU 35-40. Plus an ounce dry-hopped. I'll be using wy1469 since I currently have it on hand. It should give me a good idea of what the hops can do. Probably won't happen for a couple more weeks, though.

Here's the recipe for the American Amber hop bursted with Belma

5.5 gal, 83% eff.

68% 2-row
20% Munich
10% crystal 120
2% crystal 80

For the hops I divided the 2 oz I had into 4,1/2 oz portions
I'm brewing this now and plan on using them at 30, 20, 10, and 1 minute.

Yeast, S-05

OG 1.056, FG 1.015, 15 SRM, 33.4 IBU (tinseth), 5.5% abv, (4% abw)

I'll keg this in a couple of weeks and then give it a week to carbonate, so I should be able to tell everyone how it came out in 3 weeks.

Thanks for the hops Dave, :mug:

No problem Robert and if you need another ounce for dry hop just let me know. I wont get to brew mine for a couple of weeks since I did not get to brew this weekend. I did clear all of my fermenters this weekend and now have roughly 75 gallons of empty fermenters begging for more. That one I am going to brew is after the mild.

Going to brew a partial mash, dry hop-focused IIPA with them soon.

1.070-1.073 OG / 1.011-1.013 FG
89 IBUs

49% English 2-row (Muntons XL DME)
28% American 2-row (Great Western 2-row)
9-10% Rahr Red Wheat
9-10% Corn Sugar
5-6% Franco Belges Caramel Pilsen

34 IBUs from Warrior @ 60
12 IBUs from Belma @ 20
15 IBUs from Citra @ 20
14 IBUs from Belma @ 10
13 IBUs from Citra @ 10
0.50 oz. hops per gallon of wort, equal parts Belma & Citra @ 30 minute warm whirlpool steep
10 day dryhop, equal parts Citra & Belma at the rate of 0.85 oz. per gallon of beer

WLP001 or WLP090 starter
Yeast Nutrient

30 days in the primary including dryhop
17 days bottle conditioning

65 F to start... free rise to 68 F after a week

smashed4 said:
Here is an article from last year from a British brewer talking about Belma hops:

http://www.brewersguardian.com/brewing-features/british/1091.html

The brewer basically says he was not impressed with the hops.. He brewed only one test batch.. the few reviews of it are not that bad:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/oakham-baby-belma/162242/

All in all I will probably try it myself too and looking forward to everyone's results as well.

He actually said it wasn't as powerful as other hops he mentioned citra - it's worth reading the article.

He seems like a serious hophead from the read - only way to know if you like this hop is to brew with it - at $5 a lb the same price for a single pint at a pub it's a no brainer.

Going to brew a 10 gallon batch of APA using Cascade for FWH, and all late additions of Citra, Belma and Cascade. Dry hop w/ all 3 as well. Will report back when it's time.

My order just arrived. Two "pounds" of Belma. I weighed both and each comes out to just shy of 20 ounces. I haven't broken them open yet so I don't know how they smell or taste but I'm excited to use them.

As a pellet hop user, I had no idea a pound of whole hops would be so much bigger. The package is about three times the size of a pound of pellet hops. I'm not sure where I can freeze all these hops...

Glad to hear others are getting more than 16 oz out of their "pounds" from hopsdirect. I partitioned 3 lbs last night and all were 18-something oz each. Was wondering if I had a problem somewhere. My scale is only average quality but I measure in grams to at least get better resolution.

I ended up with 19.75oz

I'm very intrigued by the aroma here. I'm getting a flower. It's a flower we had in our front yards when I was a kid. We used to catch skippers on it. Lots of small yellow petals. It's killing me trying to figure out what it is.

I'm going to triple dry hop an IPA that I bittered and aromad with all Cascade.

Mashing in on a single hop, Belma IPA!

Belma.jpg

Just got mine really impressed with the extra that they always add in.

Some good orange notes with a little tropical as well - these should be great for my session pale ales and bitters

As I was packaging these up last night they reminded me of the super galena hop a bit but with more citrus and tropical - wonder if citra crossed with super galena?

Is anyone else getting over 16oz on non-Belma hops? I got Amarillo and Cascade, and thought my scale was just off, because I shoulda had 16 2oz bags after re-packaging, but ended up with 19.

As I was packaging these up last night they reminded me of the super galena hop a bit but with more citrus and tropical - wonder if citra crossed with super galena?

As far as I know Puterbaugh Farms isn't licensed to grow Citra, so that's probably not accurate. They could, however, try and come up with their own combo that has characteristics similar to Citra.

As far as I know Puterbaugh Farms isn't licensed to grow Citra, so that's probably not accurate. They could, however, try and come up with their own combo that has characteristics similar to Citra.

HopsDirect had Citra this year. Unless they imported it from elsewhere, which seems unlikely.

In related news, the Citra disappeared in a matter of a day or 2.

HopsDirect had Citra this year. Unless they imported it from elsewhere, which seems unlikely.

In related news, the Citra disappeared in a matter of a day or 2.

They've had it in years past too, but they don't grow it there. They specifically label the hops that are grown on the farm, Citra is not one of them. It was/is owned by HopUnion I believe. Yakima Chief actually cultivated Citra, among other new hops, and HopUnion is the family of farms licensed to grow/sell them. HopsDirect simply buys/resells it.

They've had it in years past too, but they don't grow it there. They specifically label the hops that are grown on the farm, Citra is not one of them. It was/is owned by HopUnion I believe. Yakima Chief actually cultivated Citra, among other new hops, and HopUnion is the family of farms licensed to grow/sell them. HopsDirect simply buys/resells it.

Any ideas where else to get 2012 hops in 1lb quantities. I missed out on Citra and Centennial from Hops Direct, and am hoping to find elsewhere.

Any ideas where else to get 2012 hops in 1lb quantities. I missed out on Citra and Centennial from Hops Direct, and am hoping to find elsewhere.

Labelpeelers.com has (1)lb increments, looks like they are still in 'pre-order' for 2012. My LHBS will order me 1 lb bags if I ask them to, check with your LHBS as well.

Labelpeelers.com has (1)lb increments, looks like they are still in 'pre-order' for 2012. My LHBS will order me 1 lb bags if I ask them to, check with your LHBS as well.

Thanks! In for 1lb of Citra and 1lb of Centennial.

Glad I found some...

Side note: I have trouble supporting my LHBS on anything other than yeast. It's funny...people say "support your LHBS", but when that involves paying on avg 25% or more over the online price, it just cant be justified, even after shipping is factored in. I recently had some grain bills filled out (two 6%ish beers -- hefe and a pumpkin), and it came out to 86 dollars. For all-grain. Needless to say, that was the 1st and last time I got a grain bill filled out at the LHBS.

Thanks! In for 1lb of Citra and 1lb of Centennial.

Glad I found some...

Side note: I have trouble supporting my LHBS on anything other than yeast. It's funny...people say "support your LHBS", but when that involves paying on avg 25% or more over the online price, it just cant be justified, even after shipping is factored in. I recently had some grain bills filled out (two 6%ish beers -- hefe and a pumpkin), and it came out to 86 dollars. For all-grain. Needless to say, that was the 1st and last time I got a grain bill filled out at the LHBS.

Agreed, my LHBS prices on grain are ridiculous. I buy my base malts in Group Buys on here and hops from HopsDirect. I buy yeast and specialty grains from the LHBS, otherwise I'd be broke.

I got my hopsdirect order yesterday - 1 lb of chinook and 4 lbs of Belma - I thought for 6 bucks a pound how can I lose. They smell nice, kind of a combination of citra and columbus - piney and fruity. I will be dry hopping a simple cascade pale ale with belma in about two weeks to see what they are like as an aroma hop.

missed out on the citra/centennial/amarillo through hops direct. Going to put on my big boy pants and plunk down the cash on hop pre order from label peelers.

I got my hopsdirect order yesterday - 1 lb of chinook and 4 lbs of Belma - I thought for 6 bucks a pound how can I lose. They smell nice, kind of a combination of citra and columbus - piney and fruity. I will be dry hopping a simple cascade pale ale with belma in about two weeks to see what they are like as an aroma hop.

missed out on the citra/centennial/amarillo through hops direct. Going to put on my big boy pants and plunk down the cash on hop pre order from label peelers.

Why not wait for the pellets? I only bought a lb of Amarillo and Citra leaf because I'll be buying the pellets as soon as they come out.

Latest posts

Back