cut the pins off a corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloodonblood

Reaction score
Can I cut the "pins" off of a pin lock corny keg? As farr as I can tell the only thing thay are good for is making it a PITA to get the post off. Sorry if this is a dumb question but I didn't want to ruin the post.

Don't cut the pins off. They are not there to make it difficult to remove the post.

The pins hold the disconnect fitting onto the post. If you cut them off, the disconnect will be pushed off with pressure in the keg.

Why do people have a hard time with this anyways? I just have a regular ol' wrench (forget what size...) I use to get it right off. Just come at it from the top with a downward angle and put it right between the pins. Super easy, would never consider paying money for a tool or different posts.

Raouliii: I remembered that right after starting this thread but thanks for the info.

Iijakii: I have no clue why mine are so difficult to remove. I tried removing them just as you said and couldn't get them free.

I'm just going to cut a socket so that I can get them off. Thanks for the help guys.

try lubing them next time. Also if the keg is empty do a hot soak. There may be dried beer which is like glue. Give it a hot soak in oxiclean or PBW then give it a try

Why do people have a hard time with this anyways? I just have a regular ol' wrench (forget what size...) I use to get it right off. Just come at it from the top with a downward angle and put it right between the pins. Super easy, would never consider paying money for a tool or different posts.

I thought the same thing until I bought a keg with 1 post that would not budge. I ended up buying a socket and cutting slots to fit the pins.

Now that I have the tool (socket+ratchet) - it is way less cumbersome to take these things on and off. Even with a monkey wrench you would have to attack it from different positions

Mine are new to me (A.K.A. old and used all to hell). I'm trying to rebuild them and lube them for the first time and I've had hell getting them off up to this point. Cutting and old spark plug socket I think is going to be my best bet.

Just cut the slots in the socket, when i got my first keg i couldn't get the posts off. I looked online for a special socket and decided to make my own. 6 bucks and 15 minutes later, all done with both posts removed.

Back