"Homemade" pizza for dinner tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duckfoot

Reaction score
Not exactly a complete homemade deal, but better than the standard delivery fair...

DSC_0030.jpg

BBQ Chicken w/ fresh tomato and onions...

DSC_0031-1.jpg

Spinach / Feta cheese chicken sausage w/ fresh tomato, garlic and basil...

Alright damnit.

I'm getting tired of all of these incredible homemade pizza threads. I stay thristy, hungry, and poor... You're killing me. :(

so if it's not truly homemade, explain its origins? I made homemade pizza last week, and it was fairly good. I can't bring myself to use white flour anymore (tastes so empty to me now) so the crust was just a bit too fragile.

Yesterday I baked some whole wheat focaccia, and my wife refused to eat it. kinda hurt my feelings, since recently i've been getting pretty good in the kitchen, and she's not picky... I suppose I need to refine my technique to use whole grain doughs.

The Bread Baker's Apprentice is an awesome cookbook I just bought, that I heard about on here. Teaches lots of fundamentals of bread baking (pizza dough included) if you wanna try your hand at TRULY homemade.

so if it's not truly homemade, explain its origins?

usually, that means storebought crust and then topping and cooking it yourself. That's the way I like doing it. Sometimes I even go so far as a pizza crust mix, but making crust from scratch just doesn't cross the extra work to benefit ratio for me. :D

usually, that means storebought crust and then topping and cooking it yourself. That's the way I like doing it. Sometimes I even go so far as a pizza crust mix, but making crust from scratch just doesn't cross the extra work to benefit ratio for me. :D

Making homemade crust is totally worth it IMO. I make it every week. One week I didn't have a chance to make it, so I bought a Pilsbury dough type of pizza crust in a cardboard tube. It was horrible! Making a good pizza crust is actually very easy with a Kitchen-Aid-type mixer.

2 crusts:

2 cups Bread flour
3/4 cup (warm) water
1 tsp bread yeast
1 tsp salt

Mix it in the mixer with the cake paddle first on slow/medium speed to get it all together (like 1 min.). Then switch to the bread hook on high(er) speed for 7-10 min. Take the dough out of the bowl and form it into a ball. Put it back in the bowl (you can glaze the bowl with oil so the dough doesn't stick later if you like) and cover in the refrigerator for ~24 hours.

Take it out of the fridge and out of the bowl. Cut it into 2 equal pieces, invert each one into a ball, and place it on a floured cutting board or plate. Let this rise at room temp. for 1 hour. If you only want one pizza, you can freeze one at this point for future use.

To form the crust, I use a roller to flatten it out. Then I spin-throw it up in the air a few times so the centrifugal force expands it evenly. Put it onto a corn-mealed pizza peel and you're ready for the sauce, cheese, and toppings. Another good tip is to use a BBQ brush to put a light coating of olive oil around the edge of the crust. This helps the crust brown and be crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside.

Seriously, aside from waiting for the mixing and waiting overnight, the amount of work that goes into each crust is like 20 min..

I agree with menschmaschine... but, I follow this recipe:

A Pizza Primer | The Fresh Loaf

But, if you are lazy you could stop by Publix in the bakery section they have pizza dough there and it is generally very good.

The one thing about this recipe over the other one is that it lets the dough "rest" for a while after the first mixing of ingredients. As I understand this, it is the single more important step, so that the flour gets properly hydrated to form the glutens necessary to stretch out the dough properly.

I follow a similar recipe (the famous Jeff Varasano recipe) that has improved my dough quality by orders of magnitude.

The one thing about this recipe over the other one is that it lets the dough "rest" for a while after the first mixing of ingredients. As I understand this, it is the single more important step, so that the flour gets properly hydrated to form the glutens necessary to stretch out the dough properly.

Is that because it uses all-purpose flour? There is less gluten in all-purpose flour than in bread flour. Here's a quote from a chef website:
Bread flour is a high-gluten flour that has very small amounts of malted barley flour and vitamin C or potassium bromate added. The barley flour helps the yeast work, and the other additive increases the elasticity of the gluten and its ability to retain gas as the dough rises and bakes. Bread flour is called for in many bread and pizza crust recipes where you want the loftiness or chewiness that the extra gluten provides.

FTW!!!

I use, dare I say it, Boboli for my crust... I am downright lazy as far as bread / crust making goes... However, I have been known to make my own pesto sauce, ice cream, etc etc etc....

All in all, it is still tasty and there is only one piece of the sausage pie left...

Given time and $$$, I would love to make my own pizza oven outside, next to my smoker and grill pit, and of course, the whole pig pit....

:rockin:

Alright damnit.

I'm getting tired of all of these incredible homemade pizza threads. I stay thristy, hungry, and poor... You're killing me. :(

You know it's very cheap to make your own bread, including pizza dough. Of course I buy my flour in 25# bags for $7 at Costco, so that helps, too.

Bobolis taste good but they are sort of unique/different.

I worked in a pizza joint when I was a teenager (late 70s/early 80s). I didn't learn any recipe for dough or sauce but here's a few things they did there that I can remember:

They had a chart for ambient temp/humidity vs. water temp. It was very important to use this chart because the difference in that kitchen between August (very hot/humid) to January (mild/less humid) made a ginormous difference in the pizza dough. I know for a fact they used a mixture of ice and water during the summer.

The first dough 'rest' was as a mass...not as individual portions. Then after that first rest...the dough was cut into portions and immediately 'rolled'. 'Rolling the dough' involved folding the outer surface into the interior and you basically kept doing it until it got firm but not 'ripping' the outer surface as you folded it. Then onto lightly oiled sheet pans, covered with plastic wrap, then into the fridge overnight. It looked like a slightly flattend ball when it went onto the sheetpan and would further flatten out a little to form a domed/disc looking thing.

This place had the best crust. The pan pizza was to die for.

Is that because it uses all-purpose flour? There is less gluten in all-purpose flour than in bread flour. Here's a quote from a chef website:

No. In fact, I use high-gluten flour for mine, but the same holds true-- in order for the gluten to form, the flour needs to be properly hydrated. It's similar to concrete curing-- the longer time it takes, the longer the chains gets.

Here's a link to the web page in question. I will forewarn you, though-- this is one of the worst web site layouts I've seen in my life. If you can get over it, there is a wealth of information on recreation of the quintessential New York pizza. I will also warn you that this guy is certifiably insane in his quest to make the perfect pizza, even going so far as to make his own mozzarella cheese (different passion, perhaps, but if he were a homebrewer, he'd fit right in with most of us). As a true zealot, he has opinions on things that you may or may not agree with (hot-side aeration, anyone?), but if you can get past it you'll learn a ton. At least, I did.

Go to this page:

Jeff Varasano's NY Pizza Recipe

and search for "Check out many more photos at the bottom." Start reading there.

Back