Secondary Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IlovebeerVA

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a noob trying to get into home brewing!! I am a college student so I am currently working on a budget. I needed a secondary fermenter and I made this bucket today. It is #2 plastic. I bought 2 5 gallon buckets, 2 lids, 4 grommets, and a 5/8 inch bit to drill the hole for the grommet. All this cost me $14 at homedepot!! I am currently using one of the buckets for apfelwein. The other I am going to use as a secondary. Do you think there will be any problem with this or will my setup work sufficiently? I wanted to tell you guys about it because I think it is a really good cheap way to make a secondary!

Pics:
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

There is concern over using plastic for a secondary. There is a much greater ability for oxygen to get into your beer this way, a cheap 5 gallon carboy would be a good investment.

Well then, what about the apfelwein? Will that be ok in that bucket? The lid on the bucket has a rubber seal so how would that be much different than the glass?

Back