How slow is Wyeast 1214?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EeryBug

Reaction score
Last night I made a 2 quart starter with Wyeast 1214. The starter gravity was 1.055, chilled to 68F. I'd activated the smack pack a few hours before making the starter. Now, nearly 24 hours later I haven't seen one bit of activity.

I followed what I think is a pretty standard procedure. Boil the right amount of light DME with a pinch of hops and 1/8 tsp. yeast nutrient. Boil time is about 10 min. Then I cool, aerate, and pitch yeast. The only thing I did differently was add 1/2 Campden tablet to the 2 quarts of water prior to the boil, my community use chloramine in water treatment. I do similar Campden tablet concentrations for my mash and strike water and I've not had an issue. With starters, I've always seem some activity within 12 hours at the very most. Is 1214 just slow to kick in for some folks? Or did my 1/2 Campden tablet kill the starter?

Hello,

Same questions here. I am pitching in a 1.055 beer. It has been 28 hours and I see the yeast settling an inch or so below the surface, but no real sign of fermentation. I know that 1214 is supposed to be slow, but is it normally this slow??

Thanks!!

Bump up the temp! I had the same problem. Get the temp around 70 or 72 and you'll see it take off.

Acckkkk! Disregard the above. I thought 1214 was the wit strain. Sorry.

At about 35 hours it started kicking. I did not make a starter on this one, but perhaps will in the future. Also I pitched at about 68 and rose it to about 72 before I started to see the action.

Thanks!

I've used 1214 a few times, and it typically starts up faster than that for me, even in the 65F range.
How old was your packet? Had it been refrigerated?
One thing to note with the Belgian strains especially, is that you may get a different flavor profile at different temperature ranges.

Back