Not enough carbonation in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volfan16

Reaction score
Am pretty new to home brewing and have run into the problem of not having much carbonation in my beer. It tastes Good, but a tad flat; and the head in the beer is basically non-existent. One of the batches I made was from a kit, the other two were recipes I found on home brew talk. I used an 8oz (or whatever amount that comes in the individual packets of priming sugar) but I have had this problem with each batch. After bottling I let the beer sit in 70 degrees for two weeks, is there anything else I can do to fix this issue?

Revvy has a much longer post that may make it here soon, but in general:

Just give it more time. As long as you used the right amount of sugar, it will carbonate given enough time. Some beers take 3 weeks, some take 3 months...just be patient!

I have found that the longer that I let bottled beer sit the better it carbonates. I made a raspberry wheat on April 1st and it is now fully carbonated. I think patience is the hardest part of brewing. I just recently (this week) started kegging my beer with Tap a draft and love that it is carbonated in only one week and it taste great. Happy brewing.

Either you didn't wait long enough or you had a lot more volume than normal. Wait a few more weeks. The beer will be better for it anyway.

Back