What do you use your hydrometer in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
What do you folks use to take a reading in after drawing a sample?

I see these cylindrical plastic tube things that people putting their hydrometers in, but I don't know what they're called.

I just use the plastic tube the tharn ding came in. My (first) floating thermometer came in the exact same kind of tube, which is nice because hot wort bent one plastic tube to the point where the hydrometer drags in it.

i took mine in the tube it came in

attachment.php

If you take it in the tube it came in, make sure you remove the foam from the end cap if your has such.

Just saying.

^that was such a pain in the ass

i had a long wooden spoon with a pencil taped to it with a paper clip hook i made taped to the top o that - 20 mins later that little piece of foam was gone :p

hahah

hey, if you find an easier way - tell me.

I just put it in the fermenter (make sure its clean and proper temperature of course)

why suck out all that beer goodness? thats like a pint and a half of beer going down the drain after you test it

If you are pulling a pint and a half taking samples, you are sampling way too often. I take 2 samples at 4 ounces each and we drink it we don't pour it down the drain.

BTW, break your hydrometer in the batch and you lose way more than a few ounces of beer. :(

Nurmey, I love the avatar. I should buy/make that for my girl and see if she ever catches on.

Back on topic, I use the tube it came in. I bought a test tube and the things like an imperial pint glass, way too much wasted in that thing.

My way:

-Remove the hydrometer & top bit of foam, leaving the bottom (PITA) piece in place

-Fill tube about 3/4 with water

-Shake foam wedgie loose (with thumb covering the open end)

-Squeeze foam dry

Done! :drunk:

hah hah
:mug:

sure beats paper clip fishing.

I just use the tube it came in. I had a test jar, but the bottom broke off quite easily. After that I started using the tube.

I like it just fine. I need a (slightly) smaller sample to fill the tube enough for the hydrometer to start floating, and it doesn't break on me.

I also just use a sanitized turkey baster to pull the sample out of the fermenter.

And heck yes I drink that sample! It's the best way to gauge how your beer is developing. It also gives you a good understanding of how the yeast changes the flavor of the beer. And, from what I've tasted, the yeast does A LOT.

Most of it is quite good, actually.

+1 to the fermtech thief. It works very well for me and you can pull just enough to get your reading, or a little more if you want a good taste. Easy peasy.

+1 to thief.

Its what I use take a sample, throw hydrometer in thief. Take reading.

You can then either return sample to fermentor or taste.

I used to use a glass one since it came with my kit, but it was very fragile and broke easily, I use the thief now as well. Works great.

I use a refractometer to test gravity before fermantation and during fermintation I just have to use a spread sheet after its fermenting i only need 2 drops to test and less risk of messing up the brew and its very accurate heck this is the 21st century time to get high tech hydro has been around a long time but for me the refractometer is for me got mine on ebay for 28 bucks and free shipping

I use a refractometer to test OG before fermentation and then when I transfer to keg I use a hydrometer in a two piece test jar. Easy to clean and the plastic won't break.

It's been over a year since I took a sample of a beer in fermentor to see where it was. Just let it sit and test at racking.

Tube that it came in. I drew a line with a sharpie so I'll know how far to fill it so the hydrometer floats but not too much more.

I know that it's already been mentioned, but .....:rockin:.....to the fermtech wine thief. Super easy to fit into the carboy to get your sample, hydrometer fits in perfectly (just make sure you're holding it straight up and down), and it gives you a nice little sample of your beer.

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but this piece of equipment is very helpful.

My hydrometer seems to stick on the sides a bunch of the plastic tube it came in. it's a real pain. do all plastic tubes do this (even wine thief etc)? I think I need a glass tube.

I ended up getting a wine thief. What are the lengths you go to sanatize this thing? My usual method is putting Star San solution in a spray bottle and spraying stuff down, but is that enough for something this big?

Latest posts

Back