beersmith/mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
i'm using beersmith for the first time, first time using any brewing software, i've been doing extract for 2+ years and i'm doing my first all grain on sunday.

i'm viewing the recipe i entered in, the recipe is a kit i bought at AHS, and its teh IPA American I for reference.

anyway, while viewing the recipe, in the Mash Profile section, i selected Single INfusion, Medium BOdy, Batch Sparge. i know i'm doing a seingle infusion and i'll be batch sparging, the body i just sort of guessed at. it gives me the volumn of water to use during hte mash 15 qt, but is there a way to see how much water to use during mash out and temp?

sorry for the long winded question, i'm just really lost, i'll keep plugging away at it and see if i can't find it.

side note, beersmith looks pretty flipping sweet!

You sparge with as much water as you need to fill the pot. To get the mash out, go back to the mash profile and choose the Single Infusion, Medium Body, it shows two steps in the column to the right instead of just one, the second step is the mash out.

I'm actually having some confusion now in preparation for my first AG with the beersmith single infusion batch sparge. It just says sparge with 1.81 gal at 168 and sparge with 4.17 gal at 168. Need a little more detail...is this right?

add 15.3 qt at 163.7 F -> 152
wait 60min
add 1.81 gal at 168
wait 10min?
drain into kettle
add 4.17 gal at 168
wait 10 min?
drain into kettle

I'm actually having some confusion now in preparation for my first AG with the beersmith single infusion batch sparge. It just says sparge with 1.81 gal at 168 and sparge with 4.17 gal at 168. Need a little more detail...is this right?

add 15.3 qt at 163.7 F -> 152
wait 60min
add 1.81 gal at 168
wait 10min?
drain into kettle
add 4.17 gal at 168
wait 10 min?
drain into kettle
C'mon...there are dozens of you who batch sparge. Someone can clarify this.

It's assuming you want to add water to your mashtun without draining it first, then doing one batch sparge after you drain those runnings. On my recipes I like to drain the mash runnings, then do two batch sparges with the remaining water. I select Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge to do all my batches.

It's assuming you want to add water to your mashtun without draining it first, then doing one batch sparge after you drain those runnings. On my recipes I like to drain the mash runnings, then do two batch sparges with the remaining water. I select Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge to do all my batches.

^^Ditto^^
Also read "post whoring" Me not Evil

Yeah, that's what I call mash out/single sparge. I'd go with no mash out, double sparge. You can also select to split the sparge into two equal volumes but I haven't played with Beersmith in a long time so I forget where that is selected.

Yeah, that's what I call mash out/single sparge. I'd go with no mash out, double sparge. You can also select to split the sparge into two equal volumes but I haven't played with Beersmith in a long time so I forget where that is selected.

There's a details button right next to the choose button for mash profiles. you can split your sparges there.

Click the detail button next to the name of the mash profile, and put a checkmark in where it says "Sparge using two equal batches"

Latest posts

Back