Cream Ale Cream of Three Crops (Cream Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewed this as my first AG, all went well bottled after 14 days, no secondary chilled a bottle after only 2 weeks...super tasting, clean awesome beer.
never had a kit beer turn out this nice.
everyone should try an AG before giving up on homebrewing!

thanks for a great recipe!

Biermuncher - This beer is awesome! I tasted this one two weeks ago and it 10x better now. I think the yeast hadn't chowed down the all of the sugars. It was slightly sweet but well carbed.

Now its dry and quite effervescent. I used 6oz of corn sugar.

Thanks!!!! :mug:

Biermuncher - This beer is awesome! I tasted this one two weeks ago and it 10x better now. I think the yeast hadn't chowed down the all of the sugars. It was slightly sweet but well carbed.

Now its dry and quite effervescent. I used 6oz of corn sugar.

Thanks!!!! :mug:

Be careful exposing friends or you'll be on the hook to have it around 24/7. :D

kegged this 2 weeks ago and no one can beleive i made this beer turned out professional like a purchased it from the store hehehe. it's amazing this will be my staple beer around the house going to brew and store in the celler.

thanks BierMuncher

Hello,

I'd like to brew this and wonder if an extract version/recommendation is available. I have read that you're supposed use .9 pounds of extract per pound of grain. Does this sound correct?

BM, two questions for you:

1. What is the thickness of your mash on this one? I usually stick to 1.33 qts/lb for my 60 minute mashes, but for a 90 minute mash should I change this to 1.25 qts/lb.?

2. How would Nottingham dry yeast work for this one?

I would be interested in an extract version of this too. I think I can come up with one on my own, but if anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear it.

why must you people entice me into spending money on this hobby? ;-) now i need to step upm learn how to brew all grain, and brew this beer.

I would like an extract version if someone can come up with one as well. I'm with pen25, but I dont have the budget for all grain yet.

why must you people entice me into spending money on this hobby? ;-) now i need to step upm learn how to brew all grain, and brew this beer.

HAH! The grain bill for a 5 gallon recipe cost me all of 12 bucks! I think it'll be the best thing you did!!! :rockin:

hrmm. looks like i need to get the top cut out of my keg i have. then i need to convert one of the 48qt cube coolers i have to a mash tun. get the burner. then read more about all grain. ok its settled. i have talked myself into it.

I transferred this one to secondary Monday night with a little bit of gelatin added, although I don't think the gelatin is necessary. It looked and tasted great. The big surprise was my gravity reading was at 1.005! I used Wyeast 1056 but did not expect it to ferment that much! I know my temperature dropped some during the mash so that may account for the lower final gravity.

The low final gravity plus a slightly higher OG (boiled off a little too much) puts mine at about 5.6% ABV which was a little higher than anticipated but definitely not something I'm worried about. I'm getting impatient and may keg this batch tomorrow... I can't wait to try a glass!

Edit:

I just noticed that the original post said the final gravity was 1.005... :eek: I am reassured though. Tomorrow night, the beer will be kegged...

anyone give this a shot yet? Think it's a good translation of the original recipe.

That's what I did, but I forgot to halve the amount of hops. Better luck next time. I tell you what though, after two weeks in bottles it was ready to go and another week or so in refridgeration made it incredible!!!

That sounds like a perfect hop.

So I made this one with the afore mentioned Czech Saaz, along with some regular ol' Saaz to match your IBU's. I can't recall the exact figures, and I don't have my notebook handy at this moment, but it turned out marvelous. This stuff is retardedly easy drinking. I yielded about 12 gallons, and I'm moving through it pretty quick between giving it away and drinking at least a couple every night.

I'm kicking around the idea of running it again with Cascade instead of Saaz, and possibly running a cereal mash instead of using pre-geletanized corn and rice.

My hope is that if I get around to planting some Cascade hops next spring, and use the cheaper grains, I can produce a popular easy to drink crowd pleaser for next to nothing.

We will see.

BierMuncher,

How long will it take for this beer to become as crystal clear as your picture?
I used gelatin in the secondary on my batch of this brew. I have it on 12 psi in the kegerator right now. I'll give it a week on CO2 and check the clarity and carb level at that point. I'd like to share this beer with some my friends in a couple weeks. Hopefully it will be nice and clear by then.
Thanks!

I'm kicking around the idea of running it again with Cascade instead

and with Cascades, you really shouldn't have to use very much. I used:
0.50 oz Cascade [5.90%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.90%] (0 min)

and it's great. I don't know how it compares to the original...cause I never got an original made, but I'm here to tell you even the kids like this one!

***EDIT
DISCLAIMER: (Read this as fast as you can!)

The BigKahuna does not actually serve beer to minors. He does not support nor encourage underage drinking, and hereby shuns those that do. Beer is an adult beverage and should be enjoyed responsibly. This Disclaimer is total bull**** and any authority figure that has a problem with it can suck my fuzzy butt cheeks. Some statements more valid than others, statements are of mixed originality and may contain some profanity. Void where prohibited by law and approval with LOB ONLY.

BierMuncher,

How long will it take for this beer to become as crystal clear as your picture?
I used gelatin in the secondary on my batch of this brew. I have it on 12 psi in the kegerator right now. I'll give it a week on CO2 and check the clarity and carb level at that point. I'd like to share this beer with some my friends in a couple weeks. Hopefully it will be nice and clear by then.
Thanks!

A couple of weeks should be plenty of time...especially if you're sampling a bit along the way and pulling the denser "murk" off the bottom of the keg.

I browsed this entire thread finally and I'm ready to brew. I will substitute Sorghum Malt Extract for the 2 row pale malt AND will use Lager Wyeast instead of Safale 05 to make it gluten free. I'm stoked. :mug:

I browsed this entire thread finally and I'm ready to brew. I will substitute Sorghum Malt Extract for the 2 row pale malt AND will use Lager Wyeast instead of Safale 05 to make it gluten free. I'm stoked. :mug:

Let us know how it turns out. This recipe is oh so close to gluten free, I've been toying with the idea of modding it for celiac drinkers.

Did this with all Tett today. Dad was given wrong yeast (Saflager 23) instead of Safale 05. All we have in the house is the Saflager 23 and some Muttons.. Which would you use?

Did this with all Tett today. Dad was given wrong yeast (Saflager 23) instead of Safale 05. All we have in the house is the Saflager 23 and some Muttons.. Which would you use?

Saflager 23 is a lager yeast.... so unless you plan on fermenting at low temps and having a large pitching volume might want to consider the Muttons (if its an ale yeast).

Saflager 23 is a lager yeast.... so unless you plan on fermenting at low temps and having a large pitching volume might want to consider the Muttons (if its an ale yeast).

we had to pitch before we got a response and went with the saflager 23, hope it turns out OK. We used all Tetts and had to substitute 2 LBs of Maris Otter for the American 2 row, since we were short. If my son calculated right, we got 95% efficiency and had a OG of 1.044

I have this one sparging now, looks great in color and the sweetness is a bit different than all barley. I am using two ounces of Willamette and then Nottingham, it should be perfect for this style. Anyone else do one this way?

and with Cascades, you really shouldn't have to use very much. I used:
0.50 oz Cascade [5.90%] (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [5.90%] (0 min)

and it's great. I don't know how it compares to the original...cause I never got an original made, but I'm here to tell you even the kids like this one!

***EDIT
DISCLAIMER: (Read this as fast as you can!)

The BigKahuna does not actually serve beer to minors. He does not support nor encourage underage drinking, and hereby shuns those that do. Beer is an adult beverage and should be enjoyed responsibly. This Disclaimer is total bull**** and any authority figure that has a problem with it can suck my fuzzy butt cheeks. Some statements more valid than others, statements are of mixed originality and may contain some profanity. Void where prohibited by law and approval with LOB ONLY.

First off: You made delicious beer come out my nose.

Second, if I had any kids, I'd let them drink with your kids.

Third, and most important: Is your recomendation on the Cascade for a 10 gallon batch, or a 5 gallon batch? I'm on vacation right now and I hope to brew this guy this weekend.

Forgive me if this has already been asked. (It's a long thread)

I'm making 5.5 gals of this tomorrow.

What boil volume? 6.5 gal?

Forgive me if this has already been asked. (It's a long thread)

I'm making 5.5 gals of this tomorrow.

What boil volume? 6.5 gal?

That's fine. you can always bump it back up with water if you over-boil. If you're using a pilsner however, I'd recommend about 7+ gallons to allow for a 90 minute boil and prevent DMS.

Please excuse the long post but this is my second all-grain batch and It took me 7 hrs to make... I've got to improve my process.

Made this recipe last Sun. (5.5 Gal.)

Grain:
6.0 Lb. 2 row pale
2.5 Lb. Flaked Corn
1.0 Lb. Flaked Rice ( I totally missed the whole Minute Rice part until after I'd ordered. So I used what I ordered. :eek: )

Hops:

.6 Oz Williamette @ 60 min. ( I used a little more because my % was less than yours.)
.5 Oz. Crystal @ 60 min.

Mash Notes:
  • Preheated my MLT for 10 min. with some boiling water then dumped.
  • Added 11.25 Qts. of 166.4 Deg. water.
  • Added grain (grain temp. 68 deg.)
  • Stirred and checked temp. (155 Deg.)
  • Start 90 min. timer.
  • After 25 min., Stirred and checked temp. (148 Deg.)
  • After 45 Min., Stirred and checked temp. (144 Deg.) Added 2 qts. of hot water to try to bring up temp.
  • After 60 min., stirred and checked temp. (143 deg... :mad:) Added 2 mor qts. of hot water and stirred.
  • After 90 min. Began Vorlof (sp?) (Temp: 142.5 deg.) Then drained into brew pot.

I'm going to have to rig up some kind of insulation to go over top of the grain bed because I apparently have to much head space to maintain temps.

Sparge Notes:

• Added 16 qts. of 171 deg. sparge water. Stirred and waited 15 min. (Long enough? Too Long?) Then Vorlof and drain.
  • Needed more wort for boil volume: Added 2.25 qts (170 deg.) to grain and stirred. Waited 10 min. (Long enough?) Then vorlof and drain.
  • Still needed more wort. Added 2.5 qts 170 deg. water. Stirred, waited 10 min., and drained.
  • Finally got to 7 gal. of wort... on to the boil.:rockin:

The Boil:
  • Still need a bigger pot. I ended up with 4.5 gal in one (24qt.) pot and 2.5 gal. in another.
  • Brought both pots to a boil and started a 90 min timer.
  • At 60 min added hops. (75% of the total hops in the large pot and 25% in the small pot.)
  • Forgot to add my Irish moss at 15... :(
  • At 90 min. off the burner and into the ice bath.
  • Chilled it to about 78 deg. and into the bucket.
  • I only had about 3.34 gallons of wort after boil off. So, I topped it off with tap water. Hope that was ok.
  • Took a hydro sample and chilled it in the fridge. (1.042 @ 59 Deg.)
  • Put the bucket into my fermentation chamber... ( you ought to see this thing... but that's another thread.)
  • Next morning it was down to 72 deg. so I pitched my yeast and went to work.

Questions:

1. Batch Sparging: How do you know how much water to add to a second sparge to avoid having to do a third sparge?
  2. How long do you leave the sparge water in the MLT before draining?
  3. Yeast Question? Safeale 05: Is it a "slow starter"? After 38 hrs there apears to be no activity. No bubbles, No preasure on the lid, nothing...
  4. Fermentation temps: The recipe calls for 68 deg. Is there a safe range around there? My "chamber" isn't that precice.
  5. You guys see any errors in the notes above or any suggestions for improvements?

Again, I'm sorry about the "War & Peace" of posts but I'm trying figure these things out. Thanks in advance.

Kornbread

This should answer a lot of your questions and is pretty easy reading:

BobbyM's all grain primer:

All Grain

It really helped me through my first 2 all grain batches, thanks Bobby!

I brewed this with Safale 05 as well and had airlock activity within 4 hours. Did you aerate your wort prior to pitching? I would also recommend a wort chiller.

I made an 11 gal batch of this on 8/2 and have been drinking the first keg since around 9/10 (don't remember exactly when I put it on tap). The beer had a sweet corn taste. There is no pilsner malt, so I figured the corn taste was because of the 4lbs of flaked maize and not DMS. I wasn't too big of a fan of the beer, it was good, but not great.

On Saturday afternoon I put the second keg on tap and wow, what a difference! It was very crisp and refreshing with no sweet corn taste. I'm not sure what the difference was, but the second keg is awesome.

The two batches fermented in buckets right next to each other on a shelf, so the temperature was no different. Each bucket got one packet of S-05 yeast. The only difference I can think of was that the second batch sat in secondary for an extra two weeks while I waited for a keg to free up.

Unfortunately, my sister's sorority sister's drank most of the keg over the weekend, but thankfully I bought enough malt to make four more 11 gal batches :)

On BM's original post his hop additions are 1 oz of Williamette at 60 min and 1oz of Crystal at 60 mins. Does that mean you add them at the same 60 minute time? Are there any other hop additions or times?

On BM's original post his hop additions are 1 oz of Williamette at 60 min and 1oz of Crystal at 60 mins. Does that mean you add them at the same 60 minute time? Are there any other hop additions or times?

All hops additions are at 60 minutes. Just added for bittering...no flavor or aroma.

Back