volt & amp meter placement on the control box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybeer

Reaction score
So I started building a kal version 30 amp control box , and after I cut my holes I changed gears and wired the house for 50 amp. So I’m trying to decide if the switchs and element light placement looks good. Also I found an all in one Volt and Amp meter that I'm trying to incorporate in to the box as well. I have posted two pic of different locations for the volt/amp meter. I would also like this input on this as well.

50amp panel opt1.jpg

50amp panel opt2.jpg

Here is my thought process on layout as I do the same thing as you are doing. My box will be mounted on a wall at around face height for me so I want the controls I will need to manipulate lower and the indicators I want to easily see from a distance higher...that would mean things like the volt/amp meters. I also want symmetry as I know it will annoy the crap out of me if the panel does not look balanced. So, with all that blabbing, I'm saying I don't like either of your choices because it is not symmetrical. My thought is to break the Kal mold on design layout and make it more your own thing for your style. For instance I personally find the need to name one's brewery grating for some reason so I don't need to waste real estate for a name plate.

Here is the end result on the panel until I can locate a reasonable priced 50 amp coil contactor for the main switch disconnect.
Current configuration runs on element at a time.

controller.jpg

You are much farther along than am I. I found some really nice switches that are DC only so I'm still working on how to wire them in and am not going to cut into a $100 box until I know they will work for sure.

Here is the end result on the panel until I can locate a reasonable priced 50 amp coil contactor for the main switch disconnect.
Current configuration runs on element at a time.

Check out the normal 240V Packard definite purpose contactors everyone uses, they're on amazon for cheap. 40A inductive, 50A resistive (ebrew is 95%+ resistive load)

Latest posts

Back