advice on my new brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokeCollegeStudent

Reaction score
Ok, so i did a real simple wheat beer. Supposed to be a hefe, but not even close to cloudy, its more red than cloudy. It looks like an amber ale. Its extremely smooth and mild coming outta the primary right into bottles.
Ok, so i was wondering, split the beer in half, half raspberry hefe, half blueberry hef.
Used about 2 oz. extract for both flavors, but its not a real huge flavor for the flat beer, will the flavors come out when the beer carbs?? or will it just be a tiny hint.

I didnt really have the room (or the cash) for real fruit, hence my name.
Anyway, pretty excited to get this beer in my belly, but 3 weeks....

I haven't used the fruit extracts, but beer always tastes better with good carbonation. It may be a crummy batch of beer, but it will still be beer. Real fruit is often just a pain in the ass anyway.

I love to use real fruit myself, I have not even bothered getting fruit extract.

As for it being mild, I know when adding real fruit you don't get any noticeable flavor until its been in the secondary with the fruit for about a week and a half.

I had one batch of Rasp Wheat, that I had used some frozen Rasp from my mother inlaws garden, I was a bit sad she had frozen them before bringing them down, it left a slightly freezer burn scent to the entire batch. So stay away from frozen if you can.

I'd say leave one plain wheat and "experiment" with the other. I did the same a while back with one of my last extracts. I used 2 Oz of reaspberry extract. The flavor didn't come through and the clove flavor of the hefe kinda masked it anyway.

I think the rasberry extract ended up just making it a bit more bitter that the normal.

My plain turned out better.

FYI

yeah, if you use the extract on both of them and it tastes off, you won't be able to tell if it was the beer or the fruit! i'd leave one for comparison. more controlled experiment.

Back