Kegging problem #2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pericles

Reaction score
OK, so it seems like my beer is carbonated, and I want to pour a sample glass. When I went to pull the tap handle though. . .

. . . nothing came out!

Here's what I've done so far:

(1) I pulled the safety valve to check if there was any pressure in the keg: there definitely is.

(2) I completely disassembled the keg to check if there was an obstruction in the dip-tube: there's definitely not.

(3) I tried depressing the out-post - without the QD on it - to see if beer would come out: it DEFINITELY does.

(4) I tried connecting the QD without the beer-line: nothing happens.

(5) I tried connecting the QD with the beer-line but without the tap: nothing happens.

(6) I disassembled the QD again to make sure there were no blockages: there aren't.

Is there a button I have to push, or a lever, or SOMETHING? This is the kit I got, in case that helps.

I tried connecting the QD without the beer-line: nothing happens.

with pressure in the keg? That part is either faulty or you aren't getting it to sit properly if there was pressure in the keg.

Sounds like the QD isn't on all the way or is defective and isn't pushing down the out post enough. Just my preliminary guess. Are you sure when you disassembled the QD it had the clear internal piece?

And, sorry to state the obvious, but are you pushing the QD onto the post all the way. There should be a noticeable 'click' when it seats properly. Sometimes depending on the keg it takes more effort.

Yeah, there's definitely a clear internal. . . I don't know what to call it. . . pin? Inside the beer-out QD. It has a little o-ring on it, and a spring.

I think either your pin to push down the poppet is not long enough/broken, or the QD is not going down all the way.

I have seen a brand new black QD not fit a BRAND new 5 gallon keg, but a different used QD fit fine and allowed beer to flow normally. the same new QD fit my used keg fine, so I traded the guy QD's.

It has to be the QD or beer line past the QD is obstructed. Beer should rocket out of a QD that had no tap line on it when connected to the keg, just like when you pushed the poppet down.

<smacks face>

I figured it out, and I have two problems.

The first is, that I'm an idiot.

The second is, that I put the "out" QD on the "in" post, and vice versa. When I switched them, beer did indeed geyser out the line which, since I didn't have the good sense to turn off the tap first, then poured all over my floor.

Which, of course, just underscores my first problem.

Thank you to everyone who posted, I really appreciate the speed and thoughtfulness of your responses. I also appreciate that you didn't all jump to the - correct, but nevertheless hurtful - conclusion that problem #1 was my root issue.

EDIT: In my own defense, this is my first keg. I still wish the problem hadn't been so obvious though.

(4) I tried connecting the QD without the beer-line: nothing happens.

looks like ya got it, enjoy your draft beer!! best part of home brewing!!!!!

edit: my first kegging experience included connecting a black QD to the liquid out on a pressurized keg...no beer line...a rocket stream of beer shooting me directly in the face, then across my garage...

<smacks face>

The first is, that I'm an idiot.

1) Glad to see you figured it out.

2) Aren't we all? We've all done something like this in some aspect of our lives. :off: For me I once worked on a desktop for two hours trying to figure out why the sound card wasn't working only to eventually realize I hadn't turned on the speakers! :drunk:

Cheers!

Trace

I tapped into my first keg the other night. I knew i left the picnic tap open after i sanitized it, but I did not remember that. Beer all over floor. The important part is that we learn from our mistakes!

Back