Need a Brew Pot - can really use some advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, so I've thought about it and am thinking to go simple for now. I'm figuring a pot with a stainless steel strainer at the mouth of my fermenter can keep most brew kettle trub out. I'm looking at this 10 gallon pot:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/polar-ware-brewritetm-40-qt.html

Seem ok? With it's large diameter I can put it on my stove and heat with two burners which I'd think should be fine for bringing to a boil. Also, the height is 13" so it's low enough to comfortably work with on the stove top.

For the strainer to sit into the mouth of my Coopers fermenter I was looking at this:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/stainless-steel-strainer-8-diameter.html

So how's it look guys? I did listen and take all your suggestions into account and thank you all so much for lending your opinions! I know I said originally I'd like a drain valve, fill gauge, and maybe also a thermometer but I've looked at some of the top end ones and I think they may be too much for my stove top early endeavours. Plus... SWMBO isn't too keen on me racing ahead for a $300+ pot when I only started this the beginning of this month :eek:

Rev.

Damn, seems like a really nice kettle for cheap. Unfortunately according to the website it's out of stock until April 11 or later.

On another note though... I just measured our sink that I am using to cool the wort with an ice bath and it's too small for large pots :( It's like 15" depth front to back (much wider sideways however) and it curves in at the bottom to only about 13" clearance. Not gonna do the wort immersion chiller yet since we have a water filter attachment that I wouldn't be able to connect it to plus I don't want to wreak havoc with SWMBO with a bunch of house changes.

Think I'm gonna just deal with a smaller brew pot and do smaller boils for now. <sigh> oh well lol.

Rev.

On another note though... I just measured our sink that I am using to cool the wort with an ice bath and it's too small for large pots

Go to a Wal-Mart and get you a plastic 30 gal. tote. I know you have one around you, they are all over the damn planet. Do your ice/snow bath in there! No excuses! :D Plus you have snow up the wazoo so you shouldn't need to buy any ice.

Go to a Wal-Mart and get you a plastic 30 gal. tote. I know you have one around you, they are all over the damn planet. Do your ice/snow bath in there! No excuses! :D Plus you have snow up the wazoo so you shouldn't need to buy any ice.

LMAO!! Oh so true :D Sure wish it would stop snowing though. I think something like that I can stick down in the basement and not take up more space in the house with my many interests. I gotta give the wife credit... she's extremely tolerant of my many hobbies/interests so I don't want to over do my dominance of space in the house :p

Rev.

Awesome thread! It went though 44 answers recommending up to 15 gallon bilchmans with site glasses and thermometers. We even recommended that he needed to start kegging at least ten gallon batches. It turns out he really needs a pot that will fit in his sink. Great read... friggin awesome !

Awesome thread! It went though 44 answers recommending up to 15 gallon bilchmans with site glasses and thermometers. We even recommended that he needed to start kegging at least ten gallon batches. It turns out he really needs a pot that will fit in his sink. Great read... friggin awesome !

Please pardon me if I mistake your comment, but it comes off a bit sarcastic, unless of course I'm reading it wrong. I admit, I didn't realize until just recently that one of the large brew pots I was looking at simply wouldn't wouldn't work for my stovetop situation. I didn't mention that unfortunately until my first reply in this post, post #13 where I did state I'm stove top currently.

Yes I admit, I wish I'd thought to lay out all the details at first to avoid wasting anyone's time. I didn't realize at the posting time that such a brew pot with the prerequisites are silly to fathom on a stovetop, but as mentioned along the way I am a noob at homebrewing.

So far I've also had this comment, "You're still doing extract because you want to, not because you're new. I just started brewing myself and my first brew was all-grain." and I'm beginning to detect a bit of arrogant attitude which is unbefitting of this site. I am posting in the beginners forum so please ease down a bit on me here. :(

Rev.

I am sorry it came off that way. Some of us tend to completely over do it here on HBT. I just thought it was so funny that someone was asking about some good basic beginner brew pot info and the next thing you know, we are talking about 15 gallon boils and a kegorator for minimum ten gallon batches.

I am sorry it came off that way. Some of us tend to completely over do it here on HBT. I just thought it was so funny that someone was asking about some good basic beginner brew pot info and the next thing you know, we are talking about 15 gallon boils and a kegorator for minimum ten gallon batches.

I completely understand. In all honesty, from past experience, I've found I wish I could get the 411 from some experienced people ahead of time and save money from doing the intermediate steps just to eventually wind up buying the full on gear set. When I posted I was hoping to avoid a *small buy now and later upgrade" situation. Unfortunately I didn't think about all the other details -> meaning for example the added wort cooling method in this instance :eek:

I've gone banana apesh*t with other hobbies and the wife's been way more than tolerant with my taking over the house with my "gear". So with home brewing I want to ease into it.

Again, I apologize to everyone that's taken their personal time to lend their advice and suggestions just to turn around and go with some small starter kettle. It is indeed all my bad. I do think long term and with a "once and for all" purchase. I just think I got ahead of myself not taking all aspects into consideration.

Rev.

Well, you can completly get the complete 411 here on HBT. Sorry if sometimes we over kill it. I just thought it was funny as heck about the over kill. I mean, if you don't keg at least ten gallons per batch, what is the point?

Well, you can completly get the complete 411 here on HBT. Sorry if sometimes we over kill it. I just thought it was funny as heck about the over kill. I mean, if you don't keg at least ten gallons per batch, what is the point?

Very true, sometimes people do chime in with what would seem to be overwhelming suggestions but in the long run may be the better choice to save the need for later expansion. I've taken a look back though and there were many great "starter" suggestions from members. The fault does lay on me because I didn't originally take into account the stove (and range hood height) as well as my early noobish sink icebath cooling :p I wouldn't have minded spending $350 on a killer pot, really it's not a problem for me. But boiling outside and immersion cooling is a step I will eventually take but not for a bit.

Rev.

Its because some of us have wasted money on equipment that wasn't able to grow with our brewing needs that just sits around collecting dust. I now have 2 - 5 gallon pots that have next to 0 use. Why? Because of the recommendation that I get 5 gallon pots when I was a beginner. For the price of the 2 5's I could have had a nice 10gal pot or even a 15 if I searched the net, which I did come across a deal for a 15gal thick wall aluminum pot for $88 delivered about a year ago.

This is basic beginner brew advice. Beginners should not buy 5 gallon pots. They become useless quite quickly, if and when you decide to scale up to all grain and doing larger than 5G batches.

And I did qualify my statements with:
"That is, of course, if you plan to drink your own beer like 90% of the time and/or to save money."

"In my opinion, if you want to future proof your brewing plans, it is best to get, at the very least a 15gal pot for your kettle, and an 8-10gal for your mash tun."

I don't find any of that advice funny.

To the OP, sorry for the highjack.

I'm just the opposite of the OP. Never brewed a drop but don't see the point of not going all in if I do. I want to find a keg or two.. or three and take it from there.

I'm just the opposite of the OP. Never brewed a drop but don't see the point of not going all in if I do. I want to find a keg or two.. or three and take it from there.

I have two femernters going right now, a hefeweizen and an amber ale. I also have like 20 bottles of my first brew in bottles. But according to your post I guess it's all pointless cause I haven't gone all out? I don't understand this mentality and have not encountered it in another other hobby I've taken interest in. I'm still making beer and having fun learning it and enjoying it.

Rev.

I have two femernters going right now, a hefeweizen and an amber ale. I also have like 20 bottles of my first brew in bottles. But according to your post I guess it's all pointless cause I haven't gone all out? I don't understand this mentality and have not encountered it in another other hobby I've taken interest in. I'm still making beer and having fun learning it and enjoying it.

Rev.

Don't worry about brewing small extract batches or brewing 10 gallon all grain. As long as you are brewing beer and enjoying the hobby then thats what it is all about.

Personally, I just did my first all grain batch this month, but will probably still do extract sometimes. In my experience the best way to improve your first beers is to work on your fermentation techniques and not worry about all grain, etc.

Dont worry about "not going all out" because it is really up to you.

Man brew how you want when you want. If that's big or small its all good.

Brewers are crafty and curious by nature. Its what got us into the hobby to begin with. We like to tweak, improvise
and innovate. All grain is a natural progression for many because of the added level of control and flexibility. Extract brewers win gold medals all the time. People try to brew in coffee makers and such. Its all about getting creative and having fun.

I've always tried to improve technique. There is always a way to improve your process now matter how simple or complex your setup is. I have a buddy who loves to try and make killer beer with the cheapest and most basic equipment possible. He's always coming up with crazy ideas. I take a perfectionist approach, studying every detail and trying to control every aspect to improve my beer.we are different but I love brewing with him and he loves brewing my way too.

The bottom line is to respect and appreciate each brewer's style even if its different.

My setup is a 5 gallon pot and I boil on an electric stove. I think that puts me pretty close to where you are now.

I want a keggle and a burner. That is my plan and I won't spend another dime on equipment until I get it (yeah right). If you can brew outside or kinda outside, like in a garage with the door open, I really think this is your best option. With the keggle and burner you'd be able to do exactly as much or as little as you want. You would come nowhere close to your budget. Hell, you should be able to use three kegs (keggle, HLT, MLT) and get a burner for $400. The flexibility of the keg is the key. Kegs are 15.5 gallons, they don't cost much, and you can keep them as simple as you want. Most importantly, they are modular. Meaning, in the event you do want to upgrade even beyond that, they fit in perfectly with multiple advanced setups.

For now, you could do a single keggle, burner, and throw in a chiller for close to half of your stated budget, $400.

Back