What would you call...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiddleTilDeath

Reaction score
an ale with:

12 lbs Amber LME
1 lb blonde candi sugar
4oz Apollo hops
4oz Warrior hops
Trappist Ale Yeast

???

Tasty brew's calculator estimates this at approx 383 IBUs and 9.5ish% ABV.

The Belgian Imperial Amber Alpha Acid Hop Experience? WTF is this? My homebrew operation's name is Fiddle Barn Brewing. If I can't figure out something else to call it this will just be Fiddle Barn Ale... but then I won't know what to call a future American Amber...

I hope you know some hopheads or you will be drinking it by myself. This is one of those beers you have to drink another beer in front of to warm your mouth up.

Those hops (the amount) and the Trappist yeast just don't seem to go together (for me) . . . but of course I've never tried it.

I appreciate the mild trepidation, but no worries, hop heads over here.... I recently bottled a Belgian Pale that was not quite this ridiculous but was based off of 9 lbs organic light malt and 6 oz summit hops and it is exquisite.

I just don't see why the higher AA / citrusy type hops should not work with Belgian yeast other than it seems like the belgian character generally takes a backseat in an overhopped beer. I also feel like there will be enough malt in this for the whole beer to resemble something balanced for people who like palate ruining beers. I already have the ingredients together and have been planning this a long time... gotta find out what its like. In my past experience I've found that thinking big is rewarded with superdank beer.

I also need to curb spending money that I shouldn't on expensive palate ruining single beers at my local store. This beast may contain the answer.

Thanks everyone for the advice - this morning, I think I have settled on Apollo 13 Ale.

Using 4oz of Apollo hops (in addition to 4oz of Warrior), this contains 13 lbs. of fermentables. The beer is shooting for the moon, so to speak, in terms of ambition and lack of worrying about the consequences. Will it make it to the moon? Will this beer cause a systems failure and need to return to earth? Or will the beer best the failed mission and actually be flavorful, delicious, alcoholic, and relatively drinkable?

Back