What the hell thermometers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skacorica

Reaction score
So Ive been struggling with this for a while, but perhaps you guys can help me out. So when mashing, I am fanatic about what temperature I get things at. The problem I am having is with my digital thermometers vs metal thermometers I am always getting different readings, I never know which one is right. Im talking between 3-10 degree differences....its driving me crazy.

Anyone know of any solid, high end thermometer that doesnt cost too much? It makes me angry to think I could be mashing anywhere from 145-160 at any given time :mad:

Put them in a glass of ice water. After 5 - 10 minutes, they should read 32*.

Then check them in boiling water. If you are at or near sea level, they should read 212*.

So these different thermometers all measure fine at 32* F and 212* F (or whatever boiling point is at your elevation), but then measure different at mash temps? The digital should be fairly linear.

I have a MLT with a built-in thermometer and just can not use the thermometer on it for mashing...it's useless (except it's pretty good at getting in the way). So I don't even try to get a digital to match it, I just use the digital.

Good advise to test them but several of mine tested fine at the extremes but were off by 10 degrees in the 150-170 range. I just got a Thermapen. Not exactly cheap but should be very accurate.

So these different thermometers all measure fine at 32* F and 212* F (or whatever boiling point is at your elevation), but then measure different at mash temps? The digital should be fairly linear.

I have a MLT with a built-in thermometer and just can not use the thermometer on it for mashing...it's useless (except it's pretty good at getting in the way). So I don't even try to get a digital to match it, I just use the digital.

Correct, they all test fine at freezing and boiling points but then have differences between 110-200.

thanks for the suggestions, thinking I may buy that waterproof one, god knows I am clumsy and have almost screwed up my digitals many times

Buy some grain alcohol (190 proof). It boils at 173F or so. Use a water bath, don't heat it directly.

Back