Hoppy Ale suggestions - extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjvanden

Reaction score
I have a friend who only really likes hoppy beers and I would like to make a batch as a gift. Her favorite is Victory Prima Pils - which I simply can't replicate... hard to copy near perfection, plus I'm not equipped to make a lager, or an all-grain batch (yet - I think that is christmas...). I've actually only been brewing for a few months, but so far so good.

Within those constraints (and I realize they are big ones) I am looking for a good suggestion for a hoppy, refreshing ale to brew. I suppose I could go the IPA route, but am wondering if there's a light color, hoppy american pale ale recipe (probably with alot of late hop additions) or some other style out there to go after.

Just thought I'd throw it out there.

You can customize just about any beer to be more hoppy. That's part of the fun in being a homebrewer. I prefer American Ambers, Pales, and English Bitters over all the IPA hype. I believe IPA's can be a great beer, but with all the hype surrounding them the last few years...they've gotten out of control and a bit obsurd.

I've got a recipe on Beertools.com (just search my screen name) called hopasaraus rex. It's an American Amber ale with lots of late addition hops. I think it's probably what you're looking for. Also, it's a huge family favorite. I'm not a huge fan of it, but all of my hoppy beer loving friends and family can't get enough.

Also, if you look it up, don't be confused by the IBU's. I believe it only had around 30 IBU's, but with all the late addition hops I added, it's got a ton of hop flavor and aroma.

You can customize just about any beer to be more hoppy. That's part of the fun in being a homebrewer. I prefer American Ambers, Pales, and English Bitters over all the IPA hype. I believe IPA's can be a great beer, but with all the hype surrounding them the last few years...they've gotten out of control and a bit obsurd.

I've got a recipe on Beertools.com (just search my screen name) called hopasaraus rex. It's an American Amber ale with lots of late addition hops. I think it's probably what you're looking for. Also, it's a huge family favorite. I'm not a huge fan of it, but all of my hoppy beer loving friends and family can't get enough.

Also, if you look it up, don't be confused by the IBU's. I believe it only had around 30 IBU's, but with all the late addition hops I added, it's got a ton of hop flavor and aroma.

I'm aware of the concept / how to create a hoppy beer....i've done more reading than brewing. But I wouldn't want to just give one a go hoping it turns out for gifting.... looking for a more tried and true recipe.

So... with that in mind thanks for pointing out yours. It's actually not that far off from something I whipped up in beersmith, but your hop combo is different. The fact that it passed the family test is comforting. Thanks again

If she likes prima pils, I would just brew a very simple, clean pale ale using noble hops. The key is going to be temp control. You want to minimize the off flavors from the yeasts. Another good rule - KISS, right? Just use 6 lbs. Light DME (belgian pilsen malt if AG), maybe 2 oz of saaz at 60 min and another 1 oz. at 10 min. If you wanted, add 1 oz. cascade (very popular to hopheads and nonhopheads alike) at flameout or dryhop. I wouldn't overkill it with hops for someone whose favorite is a pilsener.

And, again, do what you can to keep ferm temps down, aim for 68 deg.

Good luck!

I do an extract/steeping grain English style IPA when I don't have a lot of time for an all grain brew day. The last time I made it I could'nt get my hands on Fuggle hops, and it turned out great. I'll give you the hop schedule I used for that batch.

5-gal batch
1.25 pounds crystal malt 20, steep at 155 for 30-min.
2 pounds DME add to steeping grain run off and boil
6 pounds light LME added late

1-oz Amarillo (8.5 AA) 60-min.
1.25-oz Glacier ( 5.5 AA) 45-min.
1.75-oz Glacier (5.5 AA) at flame out.
chill and top off to 5-gal.
S-04 yeast
let it ferment cool for about 5 or 6 weeks before bottling.

just a suggestion/example. Easy to tweak and manipulate.

Back