Mash Tun...thinking can be hazardous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inspector13

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and probably think too much, so help me out.

I just bought a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and false bottom for a mash tun. To me it would make more scene to install a port in the bottom of the cooler to draw the liquids off, than use the port on the side. Would this be worth a try or a waste of a good cooler? Please, help a brother out. :fro:

I am new to brewing and probably think too much, so help me out.

I just bought a 10 gallon Rubbermaid cooler and false bottom for a mash tun. To me it would make more scene to install a port in the bottom of the cooler to draw the liquids off, than use the port on the side. Would this be worth a try or a waste of a good cooler? Please, help a brother out. :fro:

You could do that, but you will have a much larger DIY task on your hands than you would otherwise. Those bottoms are REALLY thick and the inner wall is really flimsy... the factory bulkhead is really sound, the bottom, not so much.

...and you'd need a dedicated stand with a hollow area underneath for the tubing/valve. You wouldn't be able to sit it on any flat surface. If you're building a stand already, it's doable.

...and you'd need a dedicated stand with a hollow area underneath for the tubing/valve. You wouldn't be able to sit it on any flat surface. If you're building a stand already, it's doable.

I think I may have a cure for these issues. Any suggestions would be welcome. That is tomorrows project.

and it wouldnt work any better than the hole that's already there....
There's a reason everyone uses the one thats already there, it works great.
My opinion is that you will regret it. Especially if you see how easy the conventional way works.

If you run a pickup tube to the center, then it will act exactly the same was as having your outlet on the bottom center.

Ah heck, for forty bucks just go ahead and punch a hole in the bottom if that's what you want to do, for me, not much benefit. I agree w/ Bobby, everytime yuo want to set it down, it'll be lopsided on the output.

Back