Luving the Hand Grinding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pappers_

Moderator Emeritus
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Who else *luvs* to grind their own grain, no little sissy power drills, all by hand baby?!?!?!? Favorite part of brewing for me . . . . then again, I really enjoy bottling, too. Really.

Jim

Ah, a masochist.

I crushed ~2 lbs of grain with a rolling pin for an extract+specialty grains batch. My wrists explained that was bad, okay.

The Barley Crusher was ordered the next day with no interest in hand cranking at all.

I enjoy crushing my barley by hand too. Although, occasionally I use a drill just to save time.

I also enjoy bottling too. I don't see why people think it is such a pain. I can bottle and clean up in about 1.5 hours. But the best part is opening a bottle of your craft. Pssst!

I hand crank to warm up my drinking arm. I know it works, because I've never strained or pulled a muscle while drinking and brewing yet.

-a.

I hand crank my BC, too. This week I'm doing my first 10 gallon batch, though, and I might have to grab my drill for that. I'm not man enough to hand crank 26 pounds of grain.

you use a crank? haha!! I use my index finger and thumb. Each grain gets special attention for my ales.

Drill boy here. Only used the crank for the initial cleaning grind, though I may try the crank next time just to see how it is.

It's encouraging that the OP enjoys bottling as well as cranking, because I don't mind bottling, either, and I'm about to find out about the crank. I just ordered a Corona mill for dirt cheap ($24 delivered, Discount Tommy on eBay), so I can't get hurt much if it doesn't do the job, but I just couldn't go the $150 for a Barley Crusher right out of the gate, particularly when there are so many people on the forums who appear to do just fine with the Corona mill. And as far as the cranking goes, if that's the part I don't like, I just take off the crank, put in the proper size bolt, and run it with one of my drills & a socket.

I just bought a Barley Crusher and tested it out yesterday. I was a bit surprised at how much resistance there was in milling the grain, but it had a very satisfying down-to-earth feel (and sound) to it.

Once I modify my bucket to prevent the crank handle from getting stuck (I apparently have a weird bucket), I'll probably continue to manually mill my grains-- I'm only doing partial mashes at this point, so it will only be 4 lbs. or less of grain per batch.

-Steve

I just bought a Barley Crusher and tested it out yesterday. I was a bit surprised at how much resistance there was in milling the grain, but it had a very satisfying down-to-earth feel (and sound) to it.

Once I modify my bucket to prevent the crank handle from getting stuck (I apparently have a weird bucket), I'll probably continue to manually mill my grains-- I'm only doing partial mashes at this point, so it will only be 4 lbs. or less of grain per batch.

-Steve

If you hand crank wheat (which is REALLY, REALLY HARD) you can increase your bust size. At least, that's what I told myself when I hand cranked that first (and only) wheat beer I've ever done.

Unfortunately, I'm right-handed, and so I think it only worked on one side.

Seriously, it's kind of a pain, but it's no big deal. It takes like 10 minutes to hand crank 10 pounds of grain. Rye and wheat are harder, but it's still not very difficult.

If this tiny 135 pound girl can do it, you guys certainly can!

I kind of enjoy hand cranking my BC, I brew early in the morning (usually dough-in by no later than 8am) so cranking through 10lbs or more of grain is a good way to wake up.

If you hand crank wheat (which is REALLY, REALLY HARD) you can increase your bust size.

Yeah, I'm not really looking to do that... quite the opposite, really! :cross:

Just fixed my bucket, for those of you who were on the edge of your seats. Milling should be a little less pain in the butt now!

-Steve

If you hand crank wheat (which is REALLY, REALLY HARD) you can increase your bust size.

You gotta be careful not to crank backwards otherwise they will get smaller.

I also understand its good idea for you ladies to wear a bra, you don't want a titty to get pulled into the mill. :D

I don't mind crushing by hand from the cranking effort perspective but I don't like having to hunch over the bucket with the crusher on top to grind. If can mount it up higher or fix the bucket on a bench, it's much easier.

Course, I've done a few batches with my drill while I've had a pinched nerve in my back and that's basically effortless.

I'm gonna like hand cranking. I bought a barley crusher and have 14 lbs of grain ready to go when I brew again. I like my hand-crank ice cream freezer too. I also bottle :)

"I'm not masturbating, I'm exercising my crushing arm..."

Nah, I hand cranked about 1/2 pound of grain and then got out the drill. I suppose I should try it again. What gap are you hand crankers using?

I enjoy cranking, with my hand.:fro:

However, yesterday I did a wheat, and after about one revolution, I was like, "Self, save yourself some sanity". My drill was two steps away, so I finished cranking, mechanically.

I have a feeling proximity to my drill will determine if a normal barley batch gets hand-cranked, but for wheats, there's no question.

"I'm not masturbating, I'm exercising my crushing arm..."

Nah, I hand cranked about 1/2 pound of grain and then got out the drill. I suppose I should try it again. What gap are you hand crankers using?

Mine is at .037ish. The wheat was a huge PITA, but barley malt is pretty easy to do.

I need to figure out a way to mount my BC, though. That's the hardest part- that bucket moving when I crank, so I have to hold the mill down tightly on the bucket with one hand while I crank with the other. This fall, when I have time, I think I'll cut a hole in a desk I'm using as a milling station, and mount the BC to the middle of the desk. That will make it much easier, I'm sure.

I hand crank too. My biggest problem is holding it on the bucket too. I could crank through some grain if I didn't have to essentially bear hug the entire contraption to keep it situated

I'm not man enough to hand crank 26 pounds of grain.

Yooper, after seeing #4902 I'm pretty sure you're not a man AT ALL :)

That certainly explains alot! You must LOVE wheat beers!

As far as grinding by hand, screw that! I use the drill. Anything I can do to save a little time on brewday.

Gee, you all make hand crushing grain sound so inviting.....I flick a switch and my 10gallon batch grain bills grind while I do other stuff. But your way sounds amazingly inviting.

My right hand gets plenty of exercise elsewhere.

High tech for me baby.

Drill2.jpg

You gotta be careful not to crank backwards otherwise they will get smaller.

I also understand its good idea for you ladies to wear a bra, you don't want a titty to get pulled into the mill. :D

That happened to grandma once with the clothes wringer...ugly! :p

I hand crank now because I burned up my drill; but I actually don't mind! I feel like I get a more consistent crush (although this may or may not actually be the case).

And it only takes a few minutes!

If you hand crank wheat (which is REALLY, REALLY HARD) you can increase your bust size. At least, that's what I told myself when I hand cranked that first (and only) wheat beer I've ever done.

Unfortunately, I'm right-handed, and so I think it only worked on one side.

Seriously, it's kind of a pain, but it's no big deal. It takes like 10 minutes to hand crank 10 pounds of grain. Rye and wheat are harder, but it's still not very difficult.

If this tiny 135 pound girl can do it, you guys certainly can!

I demand photographic proof immidiatly!!!! And possible further research!

I need to figure out a way to mount my BC, though. That's the hardest part-

Yoop makes the BEST sig lines!

And while I really do enjoy hand cranking, crushing my grain is sort of a pain. But my drill is too wimpy to use. I think my hand-built crusher has larger rollers, which leads to more resistance on the crank. But I really don't brew enough ATM to worry about it too much.

Not only do I use a drill, I clamp the trigger down 'cause I don't want to squeeze it that long.
As for bottling, I don't mind it. Except tomorrow I'm bottling my sixth batch in less than two weeks. It's starting to get a little old now. Thank God the next three won't be ready for a month.

More love for hand cranking. I sure as hell ain't getting a workout from pushing a pen around and sitting in meetings for 9hrs a day. Milling grain for 10gal batches and doing 22oz curls is all the exercise I get. Needless to say, SWMBO does not support my workout routine.

Back