1/8 ounce scale good enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleforge

Reaction score
Do you guys think a scale that reads in 1/8 ounce increments is good enough for weighing out home brew ingredients? It goes up to 6lbs.

Thanks

The only ingredient I can think of that would require even the slightest bit of precision in weighing would be hops. I don't think there are really any recipes that would require an increment finer than a 1/4 of an ounce...if so, the recipe developer is pretty anal retentive and needs to focus on more important things in life IMHO...haha.
Even with a high alpha acids hop addition at 90 minutes, the difference in even an 1/8 of an ounce would be ever so slight...a few IBUs perhaps.
Point is...1/8 of an ounce should be just fine. I know my electronic scale has served me very well and it does not go any smaller in increments less than 1/8.

Yeah, 1/8 is good. I like it to be one increment larger than you plan on measuring to overcome any rounding it might be doing. For instance, it says 1/4 because its just barely not enough to get to a 1/2. With that 3/8 in the middle, it lets me sleep better at night.

Even with a high alpha acids hop addition at 90 minutes, the difference in even an 1/8 of an ounce would be ever so slight...a few IBUs perhaps.

I have a small-batch recipe that calls for 0.4oz of 16.3%AA. That provides 43 IBUs. An eighth of an ounce off would be 12 IBUs!

I use a .01x100gm scale for hops and salt additions. A scale that goes up to 6lbs would definitely be good for grain though.

:off:

Yeah, I'm really leery of adding small amounts of high alpha hops for bittering additions. Variables such as hops age/storage, stem content, etc... really start to come into play when you are talking about small amounts of potent hops.

I have a small-batch recipe that calls for 0.4oz of 16.3%AA. That provides 43 IBUs. An eighth of an ounce off would be 12 IBUs!

I use a .01x100gm scale for hops and salt additions. A scale that goes up to 6lbs would definitely be good for grain though.

Yeesh, no room for error there. I gotta say that is probably a rare circumstance.

I would go with two scales, one for weighing your grains like a Weight Max scale. Maximum of 35 pounds down to 0.1 oz then add a ProScale 600 Luxe, maximum capacity of 600 grams down to 0.1grams. Total investment on both scales only $36 on Ebay. The low price far out weighs the hassle with not getting the right weight of your measurements, make the brew day easy for me. JMO as it's another tool to make brewing easy for me.

Back