Tip: Sanitizing Liquid Disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
I recently realized something dumb that I've been doing for a year or so, since I started kegging.

Cleaning and sanitizing liquid disconnects is kind of a PITA, and I've spent a lot of time pumping cleaners and sanitizers through my system to make sure the keg disconnects are well cleaned and sanitized.

Well, they can be disassembled for cleaning. Duh. I just figured this out.

THBC034640x480.jpg

See the slot on the top of the disconnect? Use a screwdriver to unscrew the insert, and the poppet and seals come out easily, so you can give the entire assembly a good soaking and cleaning/sanitizing.

I though I'd post this tip, since I've been doing it differently for a while, and they are easier to clean when disassembled.

Jeez, I thought everyone knew about that. If they didn't, then your post will open a few eyes.

Just be careful about not losing any of the small parts when you do this. Cleaning in a container so you don't lose the parts would be advisable. Although the QD would seem like it is spring loaded even though it do have a spring, it really isn't and you might need to push the end out of the QD.

I use a wooden dowel to push the pin in then give it a few shakes in Sun cleaner , rinse then run sanitizer through it.

I routinely take the disconnects apart. On more than one occasion, I've found a moldy hop chunk or other goo in there.

Hmm.... I guess I never really tried. I should probably dissassemble and sanitize them... just for good measure.

I have always just put the removed corny post in there to open up the disconnect and the poppet. sometimes the poppet comes loose most time not.

I have always noted the slot and assumed it was for removal. Just never bothered.

Latest posts

Back