Doubling a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
I recenty acquired a keggle that I plan on using for a double batch this weekend. I took one of my regular 5 gallon recipes and used my brewing software to double/tweak the grain bill, readjusted the hop schedule, etc...

The one thing that's really giving me issues is the mash schedule. I have somewhat limited capacity in my cooler and so I'm planning on doing a double batch sparge...hoping this will help with lowered efficiency that I tend to get with bigger grain bills as well. How does this mash schedule look for a target 11 gallon batch with a grain bill of 25 lbs:

Name Type Amount Temp Target Temp Time
Initial Strike Infusion 6.875 gal 171.024 F 156.000 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge Infusion 1.546 gal 212.000 F 165.000 F 10.000 min
Batch Sparge Infusion 6.829 gal 177.055 F 165.200 F 15.000 min

I don't know why the software keeps giving me uneven amounts of water for my two batch sparges. Should I adjust them? Any other tips you guys can give me?

I would double sparge with the same amounts. I will admit I have no experience doing it but do not see why it would hurt anything.

I agree, I would do 2 equal sparges. There should be a setting in the software to to use equal batch sizes.

can't get the software to cooperate for some reason...

2 sparges of 4.2 gallons heated to 184 sound right??

I think your first batch sparge infusion is really a mash out. 2 sparges of 4.2 gallons sounds about right, but I cannot comment on the temperature because I fly sparge.

-a.

A mash out is unnecessary with a batch sparge, and if you heat the sparge water high enough, the sparge effectively performs the same function as a mash out. Assuming your temperature is correct (other batch spargers should be able to confirm that), your suggestion makes a lot more sense to me than Beersmith or whatever you are using.

-a.

I've collected all my runnings and ended up dead on with my pre-boil gravity. Thanks for the responses everyone - I say it all the time, but one more won't hurt...

I love this site!

Back