Clear hose High Temps..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeybeer

Reaction score
How high of a temp can my clear hose handle.. When I drain the mash tun it goes really limp, as it does during sparging.. it's about 3/8" clear hose.. should I be "whirlpooling" and siphoning from my boiling kettle with this hose, because i'm currently pouring from the kettle, what are your thoughts ??:ban: <--I freaking LOVE this banana !

Is it 3/8" high temp clear tubing, or just regular 3/8" tubing? Because the high temp can handle up to boiling temperatures, but the regular 3/8" is likely only rated to 150ish.

I use clear hose from my mash tun. Usually its rated to just below what the sparge water would be and I find it too goes soft but has been fine so far. I plan on upgrading to silicone hose soon. I would def not use clear vinyl hose to rack boiling water, thats asking for trouble and injury imo.

Get silicone hose. It's not that expensive and it's rated at boiling temperatures.

Braided vinyl hose, while structurally stable at boiling temperatures, may not be chemically stable at boiling temperatures. Google is your friend when it comes to actual FDA temperature ratings but it seems like vinyl is rated in the 160-180 range.

I know that when I used braided vinyl at boiling temperatures there was a smell coming from the hose.... But many here use it at boiling temps and haven't grown any additional appendages.

Back