Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem. I've never used any software before. I'll let you know if I see anything else. I'm sure I'll have some more questions too.

I still haven't been able to get it working on Mac intel Leopard with 1.2. 1.1 worked fine once I got the QT installed. I tried installing the latest QT libraries and tried installing in a new location but it just opens and closes immediately saying it quit unexpectedly. BTW, it is working fine on my Mac 10.4 G4 system.

Forgive me if this question has already been dealt with (I haven't read every page of this thread), but I just attempted to install this and it is not working. I have successfully installed Qt 4.6 (the latest version), yet BrewTarget crashes when I try to load it and the report gives this error:

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: QtDBus.framework/Versions/4/QtDBus
Referenced from: /Users/damdaman/Desktop/Misc/Brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/Brewtarget
Reason: image not found

Any ideas? Mac OS X 10.5.8

Dyld Error Message:
Library not loaded: QtDBus.framework/Versions/4/QtDBus
Referenced from: /Users/damdaman/Desktop/Misc/Brewtarget.app/Contents/MacOS/Brewtarget
Reason: image not found

This is the same error as craigd is getting. Seems very strange, especially since it works on some systems, but not others. I don't know what's wrong yet, but I'm working to figure it out.

It seems that Qt 4.5 and 4.6 have an issue that the "cocoa" version of the framework does not include the QtDBus libraries for mac, due to a packaging error. There has been a fix submitted for the next Qt version 4.6.1 which is due to be out "early 2010." I'm really sorry about this guys :( Let me see if there's a way I can get you the libraries or something.

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-6429

It seems that Qt 4.5 and 4.6 have an issue that the "cocoa" version of the framework does not include the QtDBus libraries for mac, due to a packaging error. There has been a fix submitted for the next Qt version 4.6.1 which is due to be out "early 2010." I'm really sorry about this guys :( Let me see if there's a way I can get you the libraries or something.

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-6429

Hey don't worry about it, it was Qt's fault, not your's. :) Thanks for the response and taking the time to make open source brewing software. I'll see if I can find an older 4.5 version of Qt.

I have been using BeerSmith on a trial basis and was dreading the day I would have fork out the cash for the program. Then I found the original thread and followed it through to this one. I waited for a while before I downloaded BrewTarget, but finally did so yesterday... I love it! This is great! Thanks to RocketMan and all of the others who are developing this fantastic piece of open source software.

:rockin:

I downloaded brewsmith to try out and compare with Brewtarget. Well, brewsmith is more fleshed out, but Brewtarget is a better design. Just a few more additions and it will be on par with brewsmith, and then a bit more and it will be definitely better. The only problem I have had with it is the temperature calcs for the mash because of the small bug in the mashtun equation somewhere.

Also, can we donate money to help with the program? If I was a programmer, I would definitely help out, but I am a scientist and businessman, no coding for me!

Also, can we donate money to help with the program? If I was a programmer, I would definitely help out, but I am a scientist and businessman, no coding for me!

Yeah, of course! There's a link that says "Donate" in the upper right of the main page. Donations are very welcome. I could also use an upgraded membership ;)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brewtarget/

I downloaded the program and it opened with WinZip. When I double click brewtarget.exe to launch the install, I get the error message:

brewtarget.exe - Unable to Locate Component
"This application has failed to start because mingwm10.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

Well I reinstalled three times and am getting the same error.... any help?

I downloaded the program and it opened with WinZip. When I double click brewtarget.exe to launch the install, I get the error message:

"This application has failed to start because mingwm10.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

You need to extract the whole folder to somewhere before trying to execute. brewtarget.exe is the actual program, and not an installer.

I installed in linux via the tarball. It worked great after I copied the xml files from /usr/local/share/brewtarget/ into my ~/.config/brewtarget/ (or whatever the paths are). Before doing that I was getting some DB not found errors. Thanks

When I extracted the files into the folder on the Desktop, I figured I would move the BrewTarget icon out of the folder onto the Desktop with all of the other shortcuts and I got a similar message when I double-clicked on the icon. When I moved it back into the folder and launched the program from there it ran fine. I imagine there is a workaround for this, but as long as the program works, all is ok.

When I extracted the files into the folder on the Desktop, I figured I would move the BrewTarget icon out of the folder onto the Desktop with all of the other shortcuts and I got a similar message when I double-clicked on the icon. When I moved it back into the folder and launched the program from there it ran fine. I imagine there is a workaround for this, but as long as the program works, all is ok.

You can't move it out of it's directory. You can right click it and "send to desktop as shortcut" or whatever if you like.

I've tried that, and get this:
Code:
---Configure script for Brewtarget.
Unrecognized OS: freebsd
I tried this with BSD Make and Gnu Make

Tried this and liked it on my iMac... will try getting this onto my older powerbook... the original BrewPOOTER ( stuck in storage for a couple of years..so sad ).

I've tried that, and get this:
Code:
---Configure script for Brewtarget.
Unrecognized OS: freebsd
I tried this with BSD Make and Gnu Make

Ah, my bad. If you open configure with a text editor and change line 290 from
Code:
return $^O =~ /linux/i;
to this
Code:
return $^O =~ /linux|freebsd/i;
then I bet it will work fine.

I've got a few questions after having read the manual and actually entering your proposed numbers in the software:

1. In the "making a mash" section, I'm entering 121 as a protein rest, but it always defaults to 130. Same thing for conversion; I enter 152 and it goes to 156. If I try to make changes, it always come back to these two numbers.

2. I can't seem to find the numbers that indicate to me the water temps and volumes to arrive to my specific mash temperature. I'm mostly doing infusion mashes at 1.5 qt/lbs.

3. I'm saving but am having a hard time retreiving my recipes. Seem kind of silly, but I've tried and nothing seems to be where it's supposed to be. Same thing for saving my equipment (mash tun and kettle). What gives?

I'm anxious to try it out on my system to see how well it works.

Good job!

1. In the "making a mash" section, I'm entering 121 as a protein rest, but it always defaults to 130. Same thing for conversion; I enter 152 and it goes to 156. If I try to make changes, it always come back to these two numbers.

You have to enter the units as well as the numbers, i.e. "121 F" instead of just "121".

2. I can't seem to find the numbers that indicate to me the water temps and volumes to arrive to my specific mash temperature. I'm mostly doing infusion mashes at 1.5 qt/lbs.

You can see them either by clicking on a mash step and then clicking the edit button to the right (looks like pencil and paper) and then looking at the "Infuse temp" field, or just do what I do and press the "Brewday Mode" button at the top after getting through with the mash wizard. It'll be listed in easy-to-read fashion at the appropriate step.

3. I'm saving but am having a hard time retreiving my recipes. Seem kind of silly, but I've tried and nothing seems to be where it's supposed to be. Same thing for saving my equipment (mash tun and kettle).

Could you elaborate? Your recipes don't appear after you save them? They aren't in the drop-down list? Is this linux, mac, or windows?

Could you elaborate? Your recipes don't appear after you save them? They aren't in the drop-down list? Is this linux, mac, or windows?

Great! Got everything worked out. Problem was with the guy in front of the screen. It works beautifully...

Another quick question:

1. Anyway for me to figure out if all the grain I plan on using with a specific qt/lb ratio with fit into my mash tun? Or will the numbers that pop up will let me know. Right now I'm using the "Can I mash it" option on this website:

http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

And is there anyway change the % of fermentables up or down while keeping your total grain amount the same? That would be great also!

Ah, my bad. If you open configure with a text editor and change line 290 from
Code:
return $^O =~ /linux/i;
to this
Code:
return $^O =~ /linux|freebsd/i;
then I bet it will work fine.
Well, it took a half dozen more tweaks on my system, but your tip got everything started and we're running. Very nice. Thanks much.

Rocketman

I can't get the sound to work on the timer in brewday mode? Anything i'm doing wrong?

And kick ass job on the updates!

Thanks in advance. :mug:

Mind if I ask what development environment you use? I'd like to try and modify the layout to work on my linux eeepc. I haven't used C++ in years (or Qt ever), and this is a good excuse to get back into it.. I know you're probably busy, but I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Rocketman

I can't get the sound to work on the timer in brewday mode? Anything i'm doing wrong?

And kick ass job on the updates!

Thanks in advance. :mug:

You're not doing anything wrong. I had to disable sound support in windows because the windows sound environment requires some messing around with DirectX that I haven't figured out yet. But, I will, so "coming soon" :)

Mind if I ask what development environment you use? I'd like to try and modify the layout to work on my linux eeepc. I haven't used C++ in years (or Qt ever), and this is a good excuse to get back into it.. I know you're probably busy, but I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

I use a text editor (kate). However, Qt provides this really sweet IDE called Qt Creator. For getting started with Qt and reference documentation, http://doc.trolltech.com/4.6/index.html

The sourceforge page for brewtarget has an svn repository where you can always check out the latest revision of the code. If you make some cool stuff, let me know and I'll upload your changes to the repository.

Hope that helps, and feel free to ask any questions about Qt or brewtarget here or via PM.

cool program , It would be great if you could sort the data base list buy there tabs; Ie Fermentable Database , there are tabs Name Type Color ect, need to be able it click thos to resort list by that field..

Also looks like we need to round up the specs on more of the common used equpment, I for example mostly do 10gal batches so I use a keggel and Jumbo Cooler with manafold.

Has anyone tried to compile this on an EEE PC 4G Surf? I tried my darndest, but I couldn't add the packages required, no matter whether I was running EasyPeasy, JoliCloud, or EEEbuntu. Right now, I've got it running under Wine (with EasyPeasy) but I prefer the native, compiled version.

I noticed that you only have Wyeast stuff in there. Is there a way to import others? If not do you know where I can get all the data to fill in the details that are needed to create ones for White Labs?

Has anyone tried to compile this on an EEE PC 4G Surf? I tried my darndest, but I couldn't add the packages required, no matter whether I was running EasyPeasy, JoliCloud, or EEEbuntu. Right now, I've got it running under Wine (with EasyPeasy) but I prefer the native, compiled version.

What packages did you have trouble with, and why (specifics)?

Latest posts

Back