Dump? Yay or nay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny013

Reaction score
First off, before everyone jumps on me, I know to give it time and let it age. :mug:

Anyway, I brewed up a irish red, ohhhh, late October of last year. Fermentation temps were great, bottled after 2 weeks in primary with a F.G. of 1.015 and O.G. of 1.050. Hydro sample tasted spot on and amazing. Bottled 11/09/07.

Let it carb for ~3 weeks, chill one, crack it open, pour, and holy ****e, super fruity hits of grape (?) and some other really fruity notes, so much that it is unpleasant and thus, undrinkable. No sourness or anything that would lead me to think of an infection, but what the hey? How did it go from tasting great out of primary to super nasty in bottles?

So, they have been resting for ~10-11 months now, still nasty when I occasionally muster up the courage to try a sip from one, and at this point, I'm just ready to be rid of them. Any hope at all? Write it off and brew another?

Thanks, all!

Danny

I would stick em away and forget about them for another year or three. I had a stout I made years ago that I hated, but the cases got lost in the shuffle some where and were forgot about for about 2 years. I opened one up to figure out what it was ( I neglected to label them) and whadyaknow!! It was a great beer. It just had to sit for awhile and think about things on it's on terms.

If it's bottled then here's another vote for giving it some more time. Since it's off flavors that you're dealing with, time will certainly mellow those out a bit and could result in a much more drinkable beer.

Brew another... but keep those. At least some of 'em. It's pretty cool to have a stout that is 10+ years old and just getting good.

You could always cook with it. Stout makes a mean brown gravy!

Alright, I'll toss 'em in a box and find some obscure closet space to stash them in, and get back to brewing and forget about them. And maybe, one day, they will be good.

Maybe...:D :mug:

Thanks again, everyone!

Danny

If they've been in the bottle 10-11 months, then I'm going against the consensus, and say if it's still tasting nasty after nearly a year in the bottle (that is what you're saying, right?) then I'd say stick a sixer or two aside and dump the rest. If it's still unpleasant a year after you bottled it, I kinda think it's a lost cause.

I say keep a few in case a miracle happens, but you are talking a moderate to low grav beer here, not a barley wine, that would still benefit from aging...If it's been a year, and you're still not liking where it's at, I think my friends the yeasties have done all they could...

(did I really say this?) :confused:

If they've been in the bottle 10-11 months, then I'm going against the consensus, and say if it's still tasting nasty after nearly a year in the bottle (that is what you're saying, right?) then I'd say stick a sixer or two aside and dump the rest. If it's still unpleasant a year after you bottled it, I kinda think it's a lost cause.

I say keep a few in case a miracle happens, but you are talking a moderate to low grav beer here, not a barley wine, that would still benefit from aging...If it's been a year, and you're still not liking where it's at, I think my friends the yeasties have done all they could...

Yes, it has been ~10.5 months...:eek:

That's kinda what I was thinking might be the case, as well. I've got plenty of bottles and a bit of room, so I guess I'll at least take a 12'er out to save and dump the rest.

It is likely to get better after such a long time? Honestly, I can't say it has gotten even the littlest bit better from my intermittent tasting...

Anyone have any thoughts on possible reasons why they went south from brewing to bottle? As I said, it was great going into bottles. Bottles were all sanitized, as well. I did nuke ~half the bottles with Oxyclean to remove labels and I made sure to rinse well after, perhaps if I didn't get all of that out it could cause such a fruity/estery profile?

That's the only thing I could think of...Any other ideas?

... then I'd say stick a sixer or two aside and dump the rest....

OK, this is the first time I fell off my chair laughing.. ROTFL!!! :D

Back to the OP, Irish Ale yeast seem to produce lots of esters, I would say try again but be sure to ferment it nice and cool. Or go against the grain and use US-05 to ferment it.

Back