Experiences brewing with tea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeeper

Reaction score
Who here has brewed with tea, how much have you used, when/how did you add it and what were your thoughts. I tried using the search button but it says the word "tea" is too small so it does not search it...

I am going for a blueberry flavor by the way (and if the tea doesnt do it after primary I can always add fruit to secondary). Thanks

I tried brewing a mead recipe that called for a cup of strong english breakfast tea for a one gallon recipe. the short version is it tasted like cigarette butts. but I only tried this once early in my brewing life, so maybe I screwed up.

I've made several tea beers and they have all turned excellent. In fact, I have a Peach Hefeweizen on tap right now that I steeped 1 oz. of Celestial Seasonings brand Imperial White Peach White Tea for 5 minutes at flame out (for a five gallon batch) Beautiful peach aroma and the flavor carried through nicely.

I've also added the tea to my brew water prior to adding extract in my partial mash recipes with great results.

I have two recipes in the database. One for a Ginger Peach Wheat and the other for a Blackberry Sage Porter

Watch out if you use fresh tea leaves.

I usually make my own iced tea, but since we have a patch of mint growing out by the barn I thought it would be nice to make some mint tea. The tea was delicious, but it took me forever to get the oils out of the plastic container. I used one step cleaner and dish soap, but every batch of non-mint tea afterwards tasted like mint. Finally a 24 hour soak in oxyclean got rid of the left over oils.

But it does sound like a delicious idea to make a tea/beer. I'm sure herbal teas might add some interesting flavors.

Brewtopia,

I see you use varying amounts of tea in recipes. I imagine all teas can give very different results with different amounts of tea, do you brew a cup of the tea first and try it to test the flavor/aroma? I am going for a rich blueberry flavor but do not want it to be sweet or overpowering, whats the best way to gauge the amount of tea used?

Back