substitute for Chinook? in caramel amber ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BowAholic

Reaction score
I have everything ready for a batch of caramel amber ale... US-05 starter on stir plate, and 290 candi syrup made and ready... BUT I don't have Chinook hops and the recipe calls for 3/4 oz @ 60m/1 oz @ 0 and 1 0z of Willamette @ 0... I have pounds of Cluster, Nugget, Delta, US Goldings, Saaz, Fuggle, and Tettnang.
Suggestions please.

cool... thanks! So I'm thinking 3/4oz. Nugget at 45 minutes and 1 oz Fuggles at 10 minutes... for 31.4 IBUs ??

Vital Statistics: Amber Ale
OG: 1.045 – 1.060 (1.053)
IBUs: 25 – 40 (31.4)
FG: 1.010 – 1.015 (1.010)
SRM: 10 – 17 (14.7)
ABV: 4.5 – 6.2% (5.75%)

BTW- this will be brewed today, in memory, on my mother's birthday... I've been trying to come up with a special name for the beer, but haven't yet. I think it will be a good way to spend the day thinking about her...

Closest would be Nugget for the bittering (Chinook sub), and Fuggles for the Will, adjusted for AAU of course.

IMO, I'm not a fan of using Chinook as a bittering hop, I think Nugget is much better. As for the 10min addition, that's going to be what you taste - so I might actually go with Tett as a noble, spicey compliment to the sweet of the amber.

Latest posts

Back